Make use of indoor outlet for outdoor lighting

Old 03-19-22, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Make use of indoor outlet for outdoor lighting

The previous owners of our home added a sunroom to the back of the house off of what was the backdoor at the time. The problem is, there was never any lighting added, and was just left with only the porch light outlet.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if and how we can make it work rather than having to go through a lot of hassle. So, I'm wondering if we can just run wire across the ceiling from the "porch light" outlet to the center of the room to add a light fixture, and then cover the wires with some sort of trim? (also, not sure it matters, but the light would be added between two skylights).

I also welcome any other creative ideas, and thank you all in advance

Old 03-19-22, 10:10 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
and then cover the wires with some sort of trim
​​​​​​​Yep, it's called conduit!

Old 03-19-22, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,891 Upvotes on 3,488 Posts
It would look much better if the wire were in the wall and ceiling but that would take cutting some small access holes to work and fish wire thru.

You could use a product called Wiremold. It's a track system for wiring. It's available in metal and plastic. It's not too hard to work with. Not the neatest looking job but better than having the wire on the surface.

Wiremold and similar

DIYdee voted this post useful.
Old 03-20-22, 03:11 AM
A
Received 159 Upvotes on 132 Posts
I guess in this case it is a matter of cost. How much do you want to spend on lighting this room?
If you run wires in the ceiling and walls hidden from the eye it will cost your more than running wire mold on top of the wall surface. Wire mold will more than likely be much cheaper than running the wires behind the walls and ceiling.

You may want to have a couple of electricians come out and give you estimates and their options. Compare your estimates with their opinions and choose which one to use. Remember, the cheaper option on either way of lighting the room or the electrician is not always the best way to go.

If you are handy with sheet rock (that seems to be the wall covering) and handy with basic electrical then it could be something you can tackle.

We don't know you skill level.

The wiremold is a good option and will look pretty good if done correctly and is something you can probably do on your own. I would select the wiremold in my home if had to do something as I can do electrical but my sheet rock patching/mud skills are far below even DIY standards.

Old 03-20-22, 02:23 PM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Hi, are you planning on coming out of that 4 round box in the pics, what is in the room behind that box, is it possible to run a cable in there and fish it out to the new fixture? post some pics of the area behind that box.
Geo🇺🇸

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: