Vanity light wiring

Old 05-17-22, 06:21 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vanity light wiring

So I am finally getting around to installing. My light as you can see from the pictures my questions are 1. Do I connect all black together or do I connect one black from the fixture to one black wire from the wall and repeat with the second black wire. I'm guessing the answer will apply to the white wires as well. 2. How about the ground wires?

Old 05-17-22, 06:38 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
All blacks (hot) go together, wall yellow?

All whites (neutral) go together.

Ground wire (in wall) goes to green screw on bracket then to ground wire on fixture.

Old 05-17-22, 07:18 AM
N
Yellow is the cover, each yellow has one black, one white and one ground. The ground screw on the bracket, I think, will not accommodate that total thickness, 12 gauge. The wire screws, 3, that came with the light are to small to connect as suggested

Old 05-17-22, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to strip both 12-2 cables. You want to slit the jacket to almost the back of the box. Remove the jackets so that you have two white, two black and two bare wires. You want approx 6" of wire out of the box. Connect the blacks together with the two from the light. Connect the whites together with the two from the light. Connect the grounds together with the one from the light.

You'll need red sized wirenuts. Just for an example.

You don't need to put the ground wire on the green screw. That green screw is used to attach the fixture ground wire if the box was metal and there were no bare grounds.

Old 05-23-22, 06:58 AM
N
Thanks

Your explanation and the additional advice about the red screw nuts and ground wire gave me the confidence needed to complete the job. Now what to do about those green ground screw nuts the big box "expert" sold me the day before, since I opened the bag a refund was denied 😡

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: