Bought light fixtures for new house, 90C cable rating?

Old 06-18-22, 06:26 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bought light fixtures for new house, 90C cable rating?

Hi! Just discovered this site and love it!

Two quick questions:

- Just bought new light fixture for my new house, it says to only use with 90C rated cable. I'm in Canada, my cable is NMD-3, which is the same as NM cable, rated for 60C. Can I just add a junction box and run like 2 or 3 feet of NMD90 cable to the function, which is rated for 90C. Do I have to replace the whole cable?

- This seems to be the only NMD-3 cable in the house, all others seems to be modern cabling, with plastic (or vinyl?) insulator? The cable is white, super standard. Are all those cables rated for 90C? I can see a bit of the cable coming out of the electrical boxes where the switches are. I want to change all fixtures, so it would be great if all other cables were fine.

Thanks a lot!

Old 06-18-22, 09:59 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
Can I just add a junction box and run like 2 or 3 feet of NMD90 cable to the function, which is rated for 90C.
Yes that is fine. As long as the cable at the fixture is NMD90 you are fine. It is because of the heat generated by the fixture which only affects the wires in the box not the rest of the cable.

Old 06-20-22, 06:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info! The weird thing is that those fixtures are led ones, without sockets. There is absolutely no way that they could run hotter than 60C, or even close to that, right? So why this warning?

Old 06-21-22, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
It's a rating that was used on all fixtures in days gone by. It's part of UL listing.
Unfortunately it was intended for incandescent lights or fixtures with user selectable bulbs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: