electrical issues

Old 07-30-22, 04:07 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
electrical issues

Hi there seems to some electrical issues in my bathroom that started about a month ago. The light flashes on and off as shown in the gif below. Also about once a week the lights and outlets in the bathroom stop working until I reset the GFCI in one of the outlets in the room. Can you suggest what I should do? Thank you

Top Answer

07-31-22, 03:58 AM
beelzebob
Received 235 Upvotes on 208 Posts
The on/off of the light does not appear random so there is something electronically causing it. Is there a dimmer in the light circuit? If so can you bypass it to test? The GFCI tripping indicates a wiring issue. With the bathroom breaker open, removed each switch, lamp socket and outlet and check the wire connections for being tight. Move any wire with a stab connection to a screw if available.

Old 07-31-22, 03:58 AM
B
The on/off of the light does not appear random so there is something electronically causing it. Is there a dimmer in the light circuit? If so can you bypass it to test? The GFCI tripping indicates a wiring issue. With the bathroom breaker open, removed each switch, lamp socket and outlet and check the wire connections for being tight. Move any wire with a stab connection to a screw if available.

hellog, Trying2Help voted this post useful.
Old 07-31-22, 04:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Upvotes on 573 Posts
GFCIs typically don't trip on a wiring issue, they trip on a ground fault issue. If the GFCI is old I would start by replacing it. If the new one still trips I would disconnect whatever is connected on the load side of the GFCI and see if that clears the ground fault.

hellog, Trying2Help voted this post useful.
Old 07-31-22, 12:32 PM
H
There's no dimmer on the circuit but there is a fan. I unplugged the the items that were plugged into the gfci outlet and even after resetting the gfci the light still flashes.

Old 07-31-22, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,421 Upvotes on 3,067 Posts
Is it an LED fixture ?.... if it is.... it's most likely defective.

Old 07-31-22, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Upvotes on 573 Posts
The GFCI has nothing to do with the light flashing. If it is an LED lamp or fixture it is likely defective.

hellog voted this post useful.
Old 07-31-22, 05:42 PM
H
Can you educate me on why sometimes the light stops working at all (not flashing, just zero light) and resetting the GFCI makes the light start working/flashing again? Thank you

Old 08-01-22, 02:28 PM
B
Hellog, if I am reading post 7 correctly, the flashing light stops working because the GFCI tripped.
Resetting the GFCI restores power ( including the light) until it detects another ground fault.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: