Wiring for kitchen light

Old 10-22-22, 12:53 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring for kitchen light

I have no experience with wiring. Trying to replace florescent kitchen light with smaller LED light.
The black wire from the florescent light was connected to the single white wire. The white wire from the florescent light was attached to the two white wires. The two black wires in the picture are as they were. Also the ground wire was connected to the frame of the florescent light.

Should I just connect the single white wire to the "L" connection on the new light fixture and the two white wires to the "N" connection on the new light and connect the ground wire to the frame?

Thank you for any help in this. All the extra wires have me second guessing myself.

Old 10-22-22, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 731 Posts
Should I just connect the single white wire to the "L" connection on the new light fixture and the two white wires to the "N" connection on the new light and connect the ground wire to the frame?
That is likely correct. It appears you have a switch loop going down to the switch. When installing a switch loop it is common to connect the white to the hot and use the black as a switch leg. It looks like whoever installed yours did not get that memo. If you have a meter you can confirm this by checking for voltage between the single white and ground. You should only get volts between the two when the switch is on.

joed voted this post useful.
Old 10-24-22, 06:39 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you!!

I wired it that way and it works fine. Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't feel confident doing it that way until I read your reply. The wife is happy now she can see in the kitchen again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: