how do i light up my hallway floor?

Old 11-15-22, 09:15 AM
L
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
how do i light up my hallway floor?

Short version: I need to light up this hallway floor dusk to dawn with a nightlight system that is not battery operated nor operation on motion detection. How do I do it? Stop reading here if you have a solution.

Long version with every detail about the space follows:

After painting the hallway it’s time for some floor lighting. Even though I know my way in the dark there are times I just want a dim floor light and don’t want to turn on all the ceiling lights merely to light the floor up. Also trying to avoid cat puke in the dark. Which is a REAL motivation. So id be happy with full time dusk to dawn floor lighting in this normally pretty dark hallway.

As you can see from the long hallway pic, there’s a huge mirror and hot water baseboard on the left. The right where you see an outlet will be totally covered by cabinets. If you make the left turn into that other hallway there’s a closet immediately on the left side. That part of the hall is maybe 4 ft long then you go left down a hall about 3 feet to a bedroom or straight ahead is a bathroom and to the right is a 2nd bedroom.

Issues are that there are no outlets nor light switches on the wall with the big mirror. Cant run any new lines for anything either. Also researched battery lights and while I know some of the motion ones say batteries last a few months, I don’t want to recharge batteries. Where I’m standing in the long hall pic is a doorway and there’s an outlet on the other side of the doorway. So my plan is just plug in a long extension cord to either go up and around the doorway or just bite the bullet and buy a cord protector and run it across that threshold since it’s just a utility room there anyway.

I haven’t been able to find a cord I want but I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 lights running on top of the baseboard or even some kind of lighting running under it if it wouldn’t be bothered by the 180 degree baseboard. Theres about 1 inch of space between floor and the cast iron. I think LED strip lighting may be not the effect I want but if theres some other kind of light I would put it there. Otherwise id run the cord on top of the baseboard and use dusk to dawn LED lights. Unsure how to make all that ‘look pretty’. But the thing is I cannot find a cord that has outlets every few feet for indoor use. For Christmas stuff it’s ez to find thick outdoor cords but I just need the thinnest most unobtrusive cord so this doesn’t look too bad like some rig job.

Also when you make that left into the other hall id like lighting down that short hallway. So thinking the cord would extend around that corner maybe and across the closet door threshold. Alternatively for that short hallway you can see in my 2nd pic there’s an outlet a few feet from the hall as well as a hot water baseboard. I do not want any lighting on that wall itself because it’s direct line of sight to where I sit and watch tv in the living room. So that wall itself must not have direct light but around the corner I would like at least one light on that wood baseboard.

Only other thought is once the cabinets are installed on that side of the wall opposite the baseboard, maybe I could rig an extension cord on either side of the cabinets, facing the hall. Basically mounting the lights to the side front toward the bottom of the cabinets. Or if theres some kind of freestanding nightlights I could put on the extension cord. Hate to connect anything to my brand new cabinets!

taking all suggestions..except those that say get battery powered.

Old 11-15-22, 09:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,461 Posts
No, I did not real all of that.

You have a wall outlet in the hallway. Easiest would be to plug in a night light. Since you're covering the ONLY outlet in the area. So, that may be an issue for vacuuming as well as a night light. You have your cabinetry built so it contains outlets on the front and can be plugged into the wall outlet.

What is on the back side of the left wall with the mirror? If there are outlets in the other room on that wall it's relatively easy to add a new outlet in the hallway tied into the outlet/wiring from the other room. You can also install an outlet in the floor.

Another option is to run rope, tape or strip lighting down the hall. This can be powered from one end, maybe near where your photo is taken. There are also some highly focused light fixtures & bulbs. You could position a fixture at the end of the hall with the lights aimed at the floor in the hall.

Old 11-15-22, 10:35 AM
L
been looking for cabinets for a while...both cheap and expensive... tired of looking so probably will just wind up with these cheapos since the hall is not high visibility .

https://www.amazon.com/Sauder-102792...p?ie=UTF8&th=1

back side of mirror is entire wall of closet in bedroom.

seems like devising something to be positioned on either side of the new 90 inch wall of cabinets will be easiest. relatively speaking. just run 2 extension cords to the side of each cabinet. and now that i think about it, the end of the cabinet closest to the steps would directly face down that other hallway. so your talk of directed lighting may be good there. also with bedroom door opened we dont want tons of ambient lighting in hall so that may be what the doc ordered. how do i search for direct beam indoor light for flooring

i guess in theory i could run an ext cord thru a hole in the back of the lower cabinet where there are 2 doors that close. then wire an outlet on the side of the cabinet but that seems like a bad idea. then again dont know how to make an extension cord with light look any good on the outside of the cabinet either.

would strip lighting under the 180 degree baseboard hold up? then again... maybe i dont wanna do that cause it will just light up all the dust bunnies under the baseboard and be not fun to clean

Old 11-15-22, 10:47 AM
T
Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts
This isn't a plug-and-play solution, but consider dimmable LED strips on the baseboard along each side of the hall. LED "tape" is available in different temperatures (colors) LEDs; don't think you would want bright white for a night light.

Dimmable so you can adjust the light level to your needs. Different mounts and covers are available for the tape to "point" them to the floor and diffuse any bright spots from the LEDs.

AFIK, this will be a self-designed and -built system. You will need to educate yourself on LED tape for lighting, powering LED tape, physical and electrical assembly and concealing low voltage wire.

Yes, it's an imposing project, but done well, the end result should be impressive.​​​​​​​

Old 11-15-22, 11:10 AM
L
can LED be put near that 180 degree baseboard (admit it's only 180 on the coldest days) . i could forsee a strip down that side and maybe around the bend. is any LED crushable? able to take footsteps?

Old 11-15-22, 11:12 AM
L
hmm would maybe 3 cabinet lights mounted on the top of the cabinets be bright enough? wouldnt mind them on 24/7 for ease. dont want a stadium at night but just enough to see the cat puke on the floor lol

Old 11-15-22, 12:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,461 Posts
You do not want to mount LED's on or immediately above the radiator. The heat won't kill them outright but it will shorten their life. You can mount LED tape underneath the radiator where it's cooler and the radiator can keep the LED out of sight during the day.

LED tape strips are flexible and can be run around corners. You can make a little light soffit out of almost anything to conceal the strip. I saw one house where they put tape LED's on the bottom side of steel wiring track (like you'd use to run wires on the surface of a wall). The wiring strip was there already and during the day you couldn't even tell the LED's were there.

Depending on the lights you choose 3 on the cabinet could be more than enough. I'd suggest a dimmer so you can set them low enough. In the middle of the night when your eyes are fully night adapted it doesn't take much light to see where you are going. Spotting cat vomit when your eyes are sleepy takes a little more light or just test your luck by not seeing. If you don't see it your not obligated to clean it up at 3am.

Old 11-15-22, 11:46 PM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
In our dark stairwell I installed 3 LED night lights similar to these, photo cell so they come on at night.

A little work to install and wire the boxes but they work perfectly. They also make a plug version with night light that would be an easy install for the one in the hall.

https://www.amazon.com/Pass-Seymour-...93601467&psc=1

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-16-22, 06:31 AM
T
[QUOTE]can LED be put near that 180 degree baseboard (admit it's only 180 on the coldest days) . i could forsee a strip down that side and maybe around the bend. is any LED crushable? able to take footsteps?[/QUOTE
Oops! I missed the baseboard heaters from my phone. No.

Ive seen on/in the floor LED strips in an assembly setting. No idea of cost or a source.

Old 11-16-22, 08:03 AM
Received 279 Likes on 239 Posts
Consider LED "underbed" lighting strips. They are powered from wall warts and have dimming/motion controls on the low voltage side. They could be mounted in the space below the radiators. Low voltage wiring will be easier to install and be less noticeable.

This is a close up picture of underbed lighting. The space from the floor to the bed is about 12 inches.

Old 11-16-22, 02:23 PM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
The easiest and cheapest way is LED strip lighting.
I use it to light is my stair well in the evening with a remote like this.

Old 11-19-22, 02:58 PM
L
got one cabinet up. gotta buy flat plug extension cords, totally forgot to do so. others 2 cabinets will be built tomorrow. i hope

now that thats up, i think i have the lazy mans solution. i can buy small end tables for either side of the cabinets an with carefully positioned table lamps, installed on dusk to dawn sensors, that should be the easiest thing for me. in theory could put lamps on the floor but probably would look stupid. this way it at least can look 'pretty'. and fill in the empty space especially next to the steps. got one cabinet up. gotta buy flat plug extension cords, totally forgot to do so. others 2 cabinets will be built tomorrow. i hope

Old 11-19-22, 05:00 PM
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
cute kitty

Old 11-21-22, 07:16 AM
T
If you need light to navigate, what about mounting a curio light in the bottom shelf of each bookcase? Can be discreetly mounted for a nice effect. Available at most big box stores and online.

If too bright, add a table-top dimmer in each cabinet.

Old 11-21-22, 08:26 AM
L
2 of 3 of the cases have doors on the bottom but id love hidden lighting. also now had to order spare parts due to damaged pieces of wood so probably 2 weeks till the parts come. sigh. but gives me time to figure out dusk to dawn lighting. or maybe i could even use wifi plugs to program the times but that sounds like work!

Old 11-24-22, 09:05 AM
T
How about putting a wire or frosted plastic panel in the door(s), it feasible.

For dusk-to-dawn lighting there are controllers available that automatically calculate sunrise/sunset based on your location and uses GPS to learn your location. No adjustment required as sunrise/sunset times cycle through the year and does not need any DST adjusting or programming. But carefully read their location requirements.

Old 11-26-22, 03:49 PM
L
pics of installed cabinets in their final position. you can see on the right side not much room for and end table but could swing one. but also wanted to include pics of the hallway. in the one pic you can see the waning daylight out of the far away window and wanted to give u full view of the bedroom hall. i think a proper light shining toward that bedroom hall could work and even reach around the left bend a bit. . the light at the right side of the cabinets could be reasonably bright but not toooo bright. this is one case i think i may need one of those bulbs that adjust brightness with your phone and ability to set the timer maybe or just do that dusk/dawn sensor.

part of me is thinking of some kind of sconce light at either end of the shelves but unsure the directionality would work for the bedroom hall

Old 11-26-22, 05:23 PM
Received 279 Likes on 239 Posts
An LED under cabinet light under the bottom shelf in the center section will give you all the light you will need to navigate that hallway at night. Since it is LED you can just leave it on all the time. It uses a negligible amount of electricity and probably will not even be noticeable in daytime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: