Hang my new ceiling fan

Old 11-27-22, 09:26 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Hang my new ceiling fan

Hi,

6 months ago I removed the ceiling fan from my master bedroom. Here's the classic fan fixture box that I've, in place:

I'm used to this kind of setup, but my wife got a new ceiling fan that has a different way to be attached apparently. And I'm a bit lost if I can figure it out with the current fixture box or if I need to entirely follow the instruction and do what they suggest, which means way more work I assume. I'm looking for guidance.

Here's the instruction as well as the structure that should be fixed to the ceiling fixture:

I've replaced maybe 4-5 ceiling lights already and that's the first time I see this kind of setup so I'm lost.

Thanks!
Pierre

Old 11-27-22, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,644 Upvotes on 1,472 Posts
Sorry, I don't see the problem. Screw it to the box like your instructions show in figure 3.

Old 11-27-22, 10:08 AM
J
Received 475 Upvotes on 391 Posts
That does not look like a fan rated box. A fan box will have mounts much stronger than the bent over ears to hold the fan.

Old 11-27-22, 10:11 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

Maybe my main issue, first, is that I don't have the screws that went with the box anymore when I unmounted the fan 6 months ago, and the new fan didn't come with screws, so I was maybe lost with not knowing what screws to buy for that electrical box.

Old 11-28-22, 07:31 AM
T
Received 141 Upvotes on 123 Posts
Standard light fixture boxes use 8-32 screws to mount the fixture to the box. To the best of my knowledge, all fans use a larger mounting screw for several reasons. The weight of the fan, the tourqe forces of the fan and vibration from the fan. The pull-out rating for an 8-32 screw in material as thin as a standard electrical box is too low. Additionally, the bent tabs with the hole will likely deform from the forces applied by the fan.

Fan rated metal boxes have studs in the box that allow more threads to engage. With fan rated plastic boxes, wood screws go thru the box and into the joist.

Larger mounting screws, 10-32, are included with the fan to keep people from using a box that isn't fan rated; protecting us from ourselves.

​​​​​​​My closest experience is a friend that, l to help a neighbor, installed a new fan to replace one that fell. He said the fan had been mounted with 6-32 screws to a standard box. Needless to say, he started with a fan rated box​​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: