Plug end of LED icicle lights burned straight through


  #1  
Old 12-03-22, 06:52 PM
B
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plug end of LED icicle lights burned straight through

Hi there,

Single mom with 3 young kiddos. The 4 of us hung icicle lights across the front of the house this afternoon. We have a front door light that has an outlet inside it, so I ran an extension cord from that outlet down to the ground. On the ground I attached a timer. To the timer I attached one of those 3 outlet plug splitters. Then I plugged in a single strand of non-LED lights in one of the three outlet spots. That single strand of lights worked perfectly and is still working perfectly. Into one of the other outlets in the line of 3 outlet spots I plugged in an extension cord. That extension cord ran on the dry ground across the front of the house to a second extension cord which also ran across dry ground to the other end of the house. I plugged the LED icicle lights into the far end of that second extension cord. So there was an extension cord coming down from the power source, a timer, then two extension cords across the ground, and then finally the LED icicle lights. When I flipped the inside switch to turn on my front door light, nothing happened because the timer was not set to on. The second I flicked the timer to on I heard a POP! sound like a lightbulb burning out. It was light outside and I was facing the non-LED lights at that moment, which came on just fine. I don't know if the icicle lights came on for a second, but when I turned around and looked, they were off and a cord at the very end of the lights was hanging. Upon inspection I found that the cord for the icicle lights had burnt straight through 1 cm after the male end of the icicle lights plugged into the second extension cord. I live in Denver and it is bone dry here right now, so there was no water. Any ideas why this would happen. I was able to unscrew the last segment of the icicle lights which just served as an adapter from a 2-prong coaxial end to the traditional 🔌 . I found a replacement piece online, which will be delivered in 2 days. Is it okay to try again with the new piece? What happened? I don't understand.

I also looked around the house for any piece of plug in equipment that I wouldn't be sorry to see go up in flame. I found a curling iron and did exactly the same thing in the same order with it. I turned the timer to off, turned off the front door light, then plugged the curling iron into the same end of the two ground extension cords. Then I flipped on the front door light and then toggled on the timer. The curling iron turned on just fine with no problems.

Finally, there is an oval shaped box thing that is in the middle of the fried portion of icicle light cord. Don't know if it is an adapter or what. Do you know what that is?

Thanks for any insight you can give!


 

Last edited by Besaluz; 12-03-22 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a pic, but it keeps glitching and won't save the image.
  #2  
Old 12-03-22, 07:27 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 64,639
Received 3,892 Upvotes on 3,489 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It looks like the cord was bent sharply at the plug.
The insulation had a gap and the copper wire shorted out.

That piece in the power cord is probably a DC (rectifier) converter for the LED lights.
It's pretty important to use the matching power cord (brand) for your lights as they may not all be designed the same way.

You could probably install a new plug on the cord..... quick plug.
 
  #3  
Old 12-03-22, 08:24 PM
B
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the speedy reply, PJmax. What could happen if I use a replacement part with a mis-matched DC converter? I have no clue what brand the lights are, as I bought them several years ago. I'll see if I can install a new plug, as you suggested.

Thanks again!
 
  #4  
Old 12-04-22, 02:59 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 64,639
Received 3,892 Upvotes on 3,489 Posts
It would be better to replace the plug then to find out you've gotten the wrong cable.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: