Dim LED lights

Old 12-20-22, 12:05 AM
U
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dim LED lights

Hi everyone, I'm looking for the answer to a old problem I've seen many times and yet to find the correct answer.
Im living in a country that is still some ways behind the time in some places. the electrical systems here is not that good, and its mostly 2 wire, live neutral and no earth pin at all.
So when the lights are of and in the nighttime, you can see all of the dim glow, not on but not off.
could it be because the live and neutral can be wired up ever way could be the reason for them to still glow?
i know when getting a light shock of a TV unplugging it and turning the plug the other way fixed it so was thing this could the same kind of problem.
many thanks for any help in advance.

Old 12-20-22, 01:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Early design LED bulbs are very sensitive and can light with only a few volts of electricity. Even if the light switch is off..... just having the wires running next to each other could cause the light to glow dimly. This is not a problem. There is nothing wrong and very little you can do other than switching to a newer bulb.

Old 12-20-22, 03:29 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
LED bulbs contain a power supply that converts AC to DC. One of the electrical components used in this process is a capacitor. In a circuit a capacitor is either storing charge or sourcing charge. When AC to the LED bulb is turned off, a capacitor that has a stored charge will source charge if a complete path to DC common is present for a period of time. If the LEDs are in the complete path, the will glow until the charge is depleted.

Old 12-20-22, 05:12 AM
U
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi and thank you both for the reply.
just want to say they are new led lights on one way switch in all house, but this its about 30 years old wiring where they taken 2 main cable run and take of many circuits. I'm slowly changing the system to make safe but have seen this same problem in newer house here in Asia but they still run 1 circuit and take of a few induvial items be it lights or outlets. that why i wondering if it feedbacks from the neutral been crossed over.
thanks again

Old 12-20-22, 06:07 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Is the light switch by any chance lighted when off?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: