wiring a led flushmount ceiling fixture

Old 01-25-23, 11:35 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wiring a led flushmount ceiling fixture

I have a 3 wire led light fixture that is 25 watts, 110 volt, and I want to put it up and run a 25 foot 18/2 (lamp) gauge wire and add on a plug. I will plug it in a recptical wired with romex yellow house wiring. Is this reasonable and safe to do? I will mount the fixture to a junction box. What will I do with the ground wire belonging to the fixture? Thanks

Old 01-25-23, 12:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You did not say where you are located so I'll assume you are in North America where most places follow electrical codes.

Your ceiling fixture must be wired to follow the National Electric Code. You cannot use "lamp cord" for anything 120 or 240 VAC wired into your home. Your permanently mounted ceiling light must be connected to one of the house's circuits, NOT an extension cord. Lamp cord may NOT be used. Lamp cord may NOT be run inside a ceiling or wall cavity. 18ga conductors may NOT be used for AC wiring in the wall/ceiling and may not be used to power a light mounted in the ceiling. These are not the only requirements, but are just a couple of the basics. On a positive note, proper wiring will solve your "ground wire" problem because the circuit feeding the light will have a ground (if your house was wired in the past hundred years).

Old 01-25-23, 12:25 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Ignore following because I overlooked the fixture was being located in ceiling. Yes you can do it but I would use a 3 wire cable so ground can be included. You need to identify which of the 3 wires is the ground wire and attach to the correct pin on the plug. If the fixture contains a transformer, the other 2 wires can be attached to the plug either way. If you don't know if there is a transformer, follow manufacturer's installation directions.

Last edited by beelzebob; 01-25-23 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Missed the fixture was being located in ceiling.
Old 01-25-23, 01:14 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Led light

I live in a small log cabin. There is no accomodation for running cable in walls. I simply wanted to screw a junction box into the ridge beam, for safety sake, and mount fixture to it. Then snake a cable down to a recpticle in the floor. I figure since the amperage is hardly enough to kill a fly, maybe < 3/4 amp, lamp wire would be ok. Yes I can use 14/3 cable but have question about suitable 3 prong plug. Any comments welcome. I live in the mountains of east Tennesee USA. When I built this place the only requirement to residential property development was the septic and well had to be a certain distance apart. I had it wired by a lisecensed electrician who went by code in a near by town.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: