Ceiling fan only works on slowest speed

Old 07-05-23, 05:55 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan only works on slowest speed

Everything I read says it's most likely caused by a blown capacitor, which doesn't look too expensive to buy or too hard to replace. But the ceiling fan is barely a year old, so it seems very strange for that to have happened. Before I replace it, I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on two things.

First, why would that happen and is it just going to happen again? It's a standard fan and standard breaker so I don't think it overloaded and burned out.

Second, is there anything else I should check first?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this question has already been answered in a different thread!

Andy

Old 07-05-23, 06:43 AM
B
Received 308 Upvotes on 273 Posts
Is it still under warranty? How are you attempting to change speeds? If that is a start capacitor and it operates at one speed, the capacitor is good.

Old 07-05-23, 08:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
towacodaddy - It sounds like the problem is likely the capacitor. Most of the time they last for decades instead of barely a year, but there's always a rebel part that someone must deal with...and you are the chosen one to do that!

You can probably find a replacement from Amazon for $5 or so to replace it...and never have to replace it ever again.

Old 07-05-23, 01:08 PM
T
Thanks to both of you. I'm attempting to change speeds with a remote. I figured replacing the capacitor would be the answer, so thanks for confirming. I'll take $5. It's possibly still under warranty but sounds like more of a pain to replace the whole fan via the warranty than to just buy the capacitor & change it myself.

Old 07-05-23, 04:15 PM
B
Received 308 Upvotes on 273 Posts
As stated in post 2, if the motor starts and runs at any speed, the capacitor is good so change it if you want. What have you done to verify the fan remote and fan are communicating?

Old 07-05-23, 05:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 88 Upvotes on 81 Posts
Depending on how the switch for the paddle fan motor is setup with its windings the fan motor could have just one capacitor or it could have a multiple lead package with three different capacitor values. Then there's the switch configuration to reverse fan's direction. Hopefully when Andy digs into it he'll know what he needs for a new cap to replace the original.

Old 07-06-23, 10:00 AM
T
Thanks to you both. Beezlebob, you hit it on the head - I had been using the remote. Through trial and error I used the pull cord to get to a setting on which the remote then talked to the unit and I'm now able to control speeds without replacing the capacitor. Appreciate the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: