Replacing flush mount LED kitchen lights

Old 04-17-24, 08:45 AM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Replacing flush mount LED kitchen lights

I have five of these flush-mount LED kitchen lights that look similar to this:
Flush mount LED light

I've had a few of these have their transformers die on me, and getting to them is rather annoying. I was looking at replacing them with can lights, but in a few cases, these lights butt straight up against joints in the ceiling and I really don't think cutting them is a good idea. Is there some way to get some type of can there, maybe a 4-inch or something that I could use with larger 5" covers?

Old 04-17-24, 08:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,221 Upvotes on 1,982 Posts
When you said "joints" do you mean seams in the sheetrock or do you mean there is a structural ceiling joist right above the light?

If you mean "joint" then there is no issue. You can install a can fixture there and use standard screw in LED bulbs that are easily replaced.

If you meant to say "joist" then NO. DO NOT cut the joist. That is a structural member supporting the ceiling and may be part of the roof structure as well.

Old 04-17-24, 09:26 AM
D
No not seams in the sheetrock, actual wooden joist. The ceiling is wood, and is attached to the joists.

Old 04-17-24, 09:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
The joist being in the way may be a/the reason flush mount lights were used.

Old 04-17-24, 10:40 AM
D
Could be. It looks like these 5" ones are the ones that are the hardest to get. I'm wondering if I can jury-rig something with a hole saw so that I can open them up to 6" now.

Old 04-17-24, 11:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
No, jury rigging probably will not work. The lens & trim mount to the fixture. There is no provision for the lens to be mounted off center. You could glue a lens in place but then your back to difficult to replace the bulb. And, with the lens off center from the can and bulb you probably will end up with a partially illuminated lens with part of it dark. Sort of like an eclipse.

Old 04-23-24, 10:20 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 425 Upvotes on 378 Posts
I'm wondering if I can jury-rig something with a hole saw so that I can open them up to 6" now.
If you're wanting to replace them with 6" wafer LEDs, definitely. I'd just use a drywall saw to enlarge the hole to 6" (or 6.25") and install new 6" LEDs. You don't necessarily have to replace all at the same time. Most people probably wouldn't notice the difference between a 5" and 6" light.

They do fail sometimes, but they do work well. I would personally much rather replace the transformer and wafer than go back to using old-school recessed cans. Frankly, it takes about 10 minutes to replace the transformer and light, so even if they do fail, it's not a huge deal to replace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: