Ceiling Fan Stopped Spinning.

Old 05-26-24, 08:39 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Stopped Spinning.

Hey. My old ceiling fan motor blew and had my living room smelling like burnt plastic. So I purchase another and installed it about a week ago. Everything has been fine until today. The lights still work but the fan won’t spin. I opened the motor compartment and the regulator looks like it blew up and melted? I also had the residue shown in the picture. Since both of my fans blew. Does anyone know how this could have happened? Thanks.

Also, for more context. My house is old. I only have a hot and neutral wire. No ground wire.

Old 05-27-24, 03:33 AM
B
Received 314 Upvotes on 277 Posts
Lack of a ground wire will not cause AC motor to fail. My guess is the fans are inexpensive with sleeve bearings. It doesn't take much wear on bearings before motor starting torque can't spin the motor at turn on. Consider using a fan motor with ball bearings.

Old 05-27-24, 04:12 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 280 Upvotes on 221 Posts
On the face, I'm going with coincidence prior to more investigative answers.
The old fan went out. It was an old fan.
Installed new fan. It ran fine for a week. It went out. It was probably just a defective fan. If the light still works correctly and the fan worked correctly for a week, it indicates that an electrical issue is not likely at this point in troubleshooting over the forum. So, if we have a correct installation & correct electrical, I am assuming it's just coincidence.
Both fans went out back to back.
Sometimes you just get a new faulty product.

Old 05-27-24, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,111 Upvotes on 3,692 Posts
Are you running the fan on a wall dimmer/control ?
Many are not compatible will all fans.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: