Quicker Starting

Old 09-15-02, 12:03 PM
raymo8
Visiting Guest
How can I get the engine to start sooner?

I have a 1986 Force Outboard that runs great. But when I want to start it up, I usually have to turn the key between 3-5 times. Is there anything that I can do to make it start sooner?

When I prime the ball, it never tightens up which may be the problem. Also, the choke is rigged up on the key. I have to push the key in while I turn it, to choke it. I usually push it in once and turn, and then do 2-3 more turns without the choke to get it going. Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-02, 09:10 PM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
You may want to replace the fuel lines/ priming bulb. As they get old, they tend to leak and let air into the fuel line, this may be why it never seems to pump up. If you don't get the carb full of fuel, it will be hard to start. I have an older Johnson 40 hp outboard that I use a very quick shot of starter fluid (ether) to get it to start, but I have heard of folks damaging their motors by using it. I haven't had any problems with it, but, I use it in small amounts to get the engine to fire.

Old 09-20-02, 08:16 AM
Mr. Kiss
I'd leave it choked till it starts to run unless you find it begins to get flooded.

NEVER, EVER use starting fluid to get it running. The ether washes down the cylinder walls removing the lube oil and will reduce engine life considerably. If the engine floods remove the plugs and clean them with starting fliud and a wire brush. Replace them and she should fire immediately.

Old 09-23-02, 09:02 PM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
True enough about the starting fluid, I keep a can on the boat, and when it won't start normally, I risk using it, when out on the water to prevent draining the little start battery. I use use it VERY spairingly, one quick shot, let it set for 20 seconds and crank it over. Also If the motor has set up for some time, I'll remove the plugs and spray some oil into the cylinders, replace the plugs then try to start it. I don't want the cylinders to be dry of oil when the engine is started/starting.

Old 09-24-02, 04:21 AM
Mr. Kiss
Telco,
You could probably serve the same purpose by pulling the plug wires and giving her a few cranks to get the lube oil moving after a long set up. If you're going to remove the plugs why not spray a little WD40 into the cyl's, it lubricates and is combustable so won't foul the plugs.

The idea of being on the water with only one battery always gives me the jitters (I'm primarily on Lake Michigan) so always recommend a house and a separate start battery.

One more note...
Anyone with a hard starting diesel: NEVER use starting fluid, spray WD40 into the air intake instead.