Engine Running Problem

Old 11-09-02, 12:04 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
94 johnson

I have a 1994 28 hp johnson spl outboard, The problem I am having is an unusual hard start, after 3 or 4 times of starting and stalling no matter how high the idle and how many times your choke it it will stall 3 or 4 times after that it will stay running, if at idle speed leaving the boat dock it will (what is best described as a cough) only at idle. If I give it half throttle it will go and slowly start to bog down untill it stalls, if i give it full throttle out of the hole it runs like a raped ape, it does this warm and cold, I changed the plugs, and this didnt help the problem, unfortuntly when I bought the boat it didnt come w/ a manual for the motor. any ideas would be greatly appreciated, duck hunting is starting and I dont want to be sidelined for the season

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-02, 06:27 AM
Admin Emeritus
Several Possibilities

Hello: bryan77

Based on the engines running problem description, as I read it to be and an attempt to cover several possibilities, it is possible the ignitions timing advance mechanism isn't functioning at low rpms {especially if it's the weighted mechanical type} or the carbs low speed fuel circuits are restricted.

Other rare but possible problems could be engine internal drag caused by internal friction in the engine, drive system. An incorrect prop or incorrectly adjusted throttle linkage.

Stale fuel or an incorrect fuel to oil mixture can also be part of the problem, if the engine requires premix. Reed valves, if used, could be gummed up or wornout.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and problem solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, all or part of which may be available online.

Our resident boat repair professionals will have additional helpful information, suggestions and advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.

Old 11-18-02, 07:48 AM
The low speed circuit in the carburettor is clogged.
You can try mixing up a remote tank with a winterizing mix
of fuel stabilizer, gas, oil and decarbonizer. Just a 3 gallon
cocktail because you will only run it a few times on this before
the season ends. Run it for 5 minutes and let it cool
Then switch back to the boats fuel tank and go run it.
This should be done again during your winterization
Except for the run it part. lol