Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Boating Safety, Laws, and Regulations

Visiting Guest

12-10-02, 08:09 PM   #1  
BoatCop
Boating Safety, Laws, and Regulations

Greetings one and all. I have just been added as a moderator in this forum. My specialty is in Boating Safety, Marine Enforcement, and boating accident investigation.

In August 2002 I retired as a Senior Chief Machinery Technician after a 27+ year combined Active and Reserve Coast Guard Career. In that time I served as Engineering Officer and on 2 Cutters, Boat Engineer and Coxswain at 2 Search and Rescue Stations, Supervisor of a Boating Safety Detachment, in the Engineering Department of 2 major Cutters, including a Polar Icebreaker, and several other assignments I was qualified as a Deck Watch Officer and stood OOD watches in both Inland and International waters.

Currently I am a Sergeant with the Local Sheriff's Department. I started here in 1988 after going from Active Duty to Reserve Coast Guard, and supervise the Marine Enforcement Division.

I am here to answer your questions on Boating, Boating Laws and Navigation. Although I am most versed in Federal, Arizona and California Boating Regulations, I can easily find the answers for other areas as well.

So if you ever wanted to ask Marine Patrol a question, Here's your chance.

Mahalo!

Alan Nelson
MKCS USCGR (Ret)

www.boatcop.com

Sponsored Links

OH

12-10-02, 08:24 PM   #2  
Welcome, Boatcop!

Welcome to DIY.com. You have quite an impressive resume. I hope you have the opportunity to share a story or two with us from time to time.

Visiting Guest

12-15-02, 04:55 PM   #3  
stanky1
Is Lake Havasu in California or Arizona?

Visiting Guest

12-15-02, 05:26 PM   #4  
BoatCop
Lake Havasu CITY is in Arizona. The Lake itself, and most of the Colorado River, forms the border between Arizona and California.

Technically it's in both States.

The River also is the border between Arizona and Nevada, and Arizona and Utah, up at Lake Powell.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

12-15-02, 08:08 PM   #5  
Welcome Aboard

Hello: Alan

Welcome aboard our web site and to the boating topic. Glad to have you as a moderator in this topic. Sorry I did not welcome you earlier.

Been really busy since the last time we exchanged PM's. Kindly excuse me for the late welcome. No. I will not "Walk The Plank" as a result of a "Late Welcome"...LOL!...

Have any information you can share with our members on the topic of Global Positioning Systems? {GPS} If you can share some basic information on the system, please do so.

Suggestion:
Start by opening a topic on the basics of global systems and continue with the basics on portable and deck mounted units.

I personally have seen and used the GPS units but would be very interested on how these navigation systems operate and how the units function. I would suggest you post a basic topic first.

Immediately after posting, lock the topic to avoid replies being entered. Than a week or so later add part two, then part three and so on, if needed, to the originally posted topic.

Locking a topic allows only you to add information. Sticking the topic allows it to remain at the topic of the list of questions. I suggest locking for all FYI {For Your Information} topics....

Regards,
Tom_B
Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
Captains Helm House Sign Reads:
"Sit Down, Shut Up & Don't Move Around.
You're Rocking My Boat."......

12-24-02, 11:01 PM   #6  
I too bid you a welcome aboard, and look forward to
working with you and others to solve the mysteries of
the boating world.

Sounds more mysterious than it really is. Thats what
we are here for, to dispell old myths and wives tales.
We get right into the meat of the motor, rip her guts out,
and slap her back together.
Welcome captian, if you have the nerve for it.
Scott

Search this Thread