125 force engine

Old 04-17-03, 11:18 PM
Question 125 force engine

I have a 125 force or "mercury " outboard engine.
Is there a automotive type replacement spark plug for this engine instead of the boat type, I don't have a boat dealer very close to me. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-03, 08:03 PM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
Spark plugs for outboards vary considerably between years. Call a Mercury shop and give them the year and serial number of the engine, and ask what spark plug it uses.

If you still have the owner's manual for the engine, that should have the plug number, too. Many different manufacturers make similar plugs, and can cross reference to whatever specific plug you need.

Most use NGK or Champion, and once you have the number, your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) should be able to get them for you.

They'll also be about 1/2 the price of what most Merc Shops would charge. My new 225 Mercury Optimax plugs cost $24.86 each at the Merc PLace, but NAPA had the identical plug for $10.85. (Yes. That's in US dollars and priced EACH! )

Old 04-19-03, 08:07 PM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
One more thing. If you still have problems finding them, you can order them direct from Mercury at:

www.mercurypartsexpress.com

You'll need your engine serial number, found on the bracket that mounts to the transom.

Old 04-19-03, 09:05 PM
thanks alot. I appreciate it.

Old 09-13-05, 12:49 PM
johjack
Visiting Guest
Force 125 Outbaord Motor Question

I have a Force 125 outboard. The engine is getting fuel and is turning over fine....I leaned the spark plugs and they are wet after cranking.....Engine will not fire at all.....

Is there an electrical part that controls the firing of plugs that I can replace?

Thanks!!

Old 10-07-05, 01:45 PM
What year and model number is your Force? The info should be on a data plate on the transom bracket. I can tell you what plug you need if you get me those numbers.

The Force O/Bs have a weak ignition system, and parts are getting harder to get. Are any of the cylinders firing? If none are firing, the problem is probably under the flywheel. Something that can mimic a bad ignition system is a weak starter. It the starter does not spin the engine fast enough, it will not fire. Happened to me last year.