Evinrude 200HP

Old 04-22-03, 12:53 PM
Lightbulb Evinrude 200HP

Does anyone have any insight, pro or con , on the Evinrude 200HP 2 stroke with fitch and the 7yr extended waranty??? This will be used primarily in salt water on a 23 ft century in New England....It will be trailored (not left in the water)...any comments welcomed!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-03, 08:05 PM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
I'm partial to Mercury, so my comments here are purely my opinion.

I've had fair to poor results with Evinrude/Johnson/OMC engines over the years. Mostly due to failed oil injection systems, which causes the engine to seize without warning. They were also very tempermental in colder weather.

But! This was before the Ficht injection system, and prior to Bombardier (Sea-Doo) taking over. I think if they're offering a 7 year warranty, they've solved the problems, and are trying to build the reputation back up.

My only recommendation would be to make sure you get the whole "System Check" guage and alarm system, and be religious about flushing the engine with fresh water EVERY TIME you use it in salt water. Also keep a close eye on the zincs (sacrificial anodes), wire brush them from time to time, and replace when they've deteriorated about 50%. Keep all grease fittings well lubed, and always use the best oil you can, both injection and lower unit.

Preventive maintenance takes on a whole new meaning when operating in salt water.

One last word. The 200 may be a little underpowered for a 23' Century. (Depending on what you plan to use it for.) You may have trouble getting a skier up with a few passengers. With that size boat, you may want to look into a 225 or 250.

Whatever you get, come back in here after a few months and tell us your experiences. I'd be curious to know how the 'Rudes are doing these days.

Old 04-23-03, 04:55 PM
oil injection

To my understanding, if the motor overheats due to oil failure it drops down to idle only to let you putt in to port without getting stranded. This is still crazy now days I think with the advent of SeaTow...but if your not paying attention this is a good safety. . This boat is strictly fishing, and The dealer said he knows the hull which has been passed around to a few boat companys with different tops only, and unless I was going to a 250, there would be no noticable difference (in reguard to the 225) and this will do 40-45 with no problem. I'll report back in during the summer, and give a sitrep how things are.
Thanks for the reply!!!