discharging battery

Old 05-06-03, 09:28 AM
99GTX
Visiting Guest
discharging battery

Determined that the battery is discharging, not charging while running the Seadoo. Charges at idle speed, but acceleration is draining battery and low voltage light stays on. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-03, 08:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: 99GTX

If you have a voltage tester, place the leads on the battery terminals. Start the engine and note to voltage reading.

The charging rate should be between 14.2 to 14.8 volts. Any reading less most likely indicates the charging system is the problem. Most likely the alternator.

If your handy with tools, remove the alternator and have it tested at the local dealers, an auto parts store or auto electrical repair shop. Also test the battery or have it professionally tested.

The voltage regulator should be the built into the alternator type. If the battery does not charge at idle, it will not charge at speed.

Therefore, I doubt the battery is being drained only at higher speeds or only during acceleration. This assumption could be incorrect within my ability to run the test myself and only based upon your problem description.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 05-24-03, 08:30 AM
whome
Visiting Guest
The regulator has a bad rectifier diode. Dealer item unless you can scab a used part that works...