Boat for "skinny" water

Old 05-14-03, 03:57 PM
ChuckG
Visiting Guest
Boat for "skinny" water

I live near a stretch of river that typically runs 2-3 feet deep with some pockets as deep as 8-12 and some areas no deeper than 6-8". I currently am running a 14' tri-hull w/ a 15hp motor. This boat works well, but by the time August and September come around, I'm locked into an area about 1 mile long. The entire stretch I can run in the spring is 35 miles. I have been looking for a shallow water boat, and have had many mixed results. Some people in the area use "mud motors" on their jon boats, but they have no reverse. I have heard of a BassTracker 175Jet which is 175 hp jet outboard, but I'm concerned it'll be too big. The other option I am investigating is a Carolina Skiff w/ an outboard jet motor. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-03, 11:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A flat bottom aluminum jon boat with a short 6hp johnson will get you almost anywhere, I know, because I have a river nearby with similar conditions. That is what I use....a 12 foot jon boat with a 1975 6hp johnson. I can go through water 8 or 10 inches deep. If I ever come to a spot that is too shallow, the boat is light enough to pole through or drag behind. It will run a solid day and then some on 6 gal of gas too, depending on how hard you work it.

Old 05-22-03, 06:21 AM
SB
the mud motor would be my choice..and a flat bottom. i have run in 6 inches of water in one of those.

but you did not say that is one of your options. i dont have experience with jets but i hear if you are running in sandy conditions, it can screw em up pretty bad.

cheese's idea is pretty good...i would also HIGHLY recommend a jackplate. by doing that you are setting the prop back from the transom which allows it to run in skinnier water...also, if you want, the power tilt/trim will allow you to move it up AND out. should meet your needs.

Old 05-22-03, 05:48 PM
ChuckG
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your replys. The reason I am not looking at the mud motor is that it has no reverse, something I feel is important. Can you explain more about this jackplate to set the motor out further?

Does anyone have any experience with a Carolina Skiff?

Old 05-23-03, 07:43 AM
SB
ok, think of it this way..i will also see if i can post a link for it.

if the motor sits on the transom then the prop is what? 6-10 inches from the transom? about? when you run in skinny water the transom displaces the water for about 12. the jackplate sets the motor back another 4-6 inches or so, therefore the prop is in "better" water so it can run skinnier. also, buy running it up the jackplate, the lower unit is up more. its hard to explain, you should stop by a boat dealer and take a look at one. the more $$ bass boats all come with one. however, you can get cheap ones from bass pro shops for under $100. here is a link..see if it works.

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet...hvarStartRow=0

if this does not work..go to www.basspro.com then go to marine/boat accessories...then go to motor/accessories...page one has a couple of the hydraulic jackplates...page two has the cheaper, manual ones.

hope this helps.

Old 05-28-03, 05:16 AM
ChuckG
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the link. I understand the jackplate. I also found the prop guard to be a very nice item as my river is predominately small rock and deadfall.

Old 05-30-03, 06:22 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
Ive had my 16'sylvan deep v in about 8" of water, not by choice of course. But I think that the jet motors would be out of the question being that you are probably at one point or another with that shallow of water, suck something up.Not good

Old 06-21-03, 12:32 PM
Purpose??

You never mention exactly what the purpose is for the boat...fishing??? I used a canoe with an electric motor. When I lived in Missouri, and went on a 20 mile trip on the Gasconade river. If you ever get stuck...a paddle will move you along nicely. I mounted the trolling motor on the front, and use a remote control to operate it....its easy to manuever and goes places a jon boat can't, if you come to a dry area you can carry it over that spot and continue...

Old 06-22-03, 05:10 AM
ChuckG
Visiting Guest
Boat purpose - jet motor input requested

I currently use my 14' tri-hull with a 15hp Merc on the river for fishing. Most people use either small tri-hulls, jons, or air powered boats. Some of the guys use "mud motors", but they have no reverse.

I typically go fishing with 1 or 2 other people, so a boat under 14' would be too small to allow for 3 people with gear. That is why I'm looking for a solution that will fit 3 or 4 people and still draft under 8" or so with motor.

There were some comments made about sucking sand into the intake of a jet motor. The river I fish is rock and mud bottomed. Even the "sand bars" are really rock bars. This is why I am looking for input from people who have, or know someone who has, a boat with a jet motor to see if this would be the right motor for my needs.

Thanks for the replys.

Old 06-23-03, 08:45 AM
SB
i have friends who have jets on their boats and wouldnt trade em for the world (alot of them fish rivers and the jet helps them get across bars, etc.)

i just bought a new boat...16 foot duraweld with a mariner 50 horse...it has float "pods" on it. it is a relatively heavy boat but i had me and another guy (we both weigh 250+) fishing gear, etc and could motor in 1 foot...with the motor trimmed up.

Old 07-05-04, 01:44 AM
devren
Visiting Guest
shallow water

i know its a little late to post on this topic but...

in alaska we use small boats, 12-18foot for running rivers. properly configured you can run in 3" of water at speeds of 25mph without any worries.

i would suggest a 16' boat(aluminum) with a tunnel in it. put a 65hp merc outboard with a jet unit. you'll be very happy. ive seen this configuration jump sand bars and run in water that wouldnt get your ankles wet.

Old 07-06-04, 05:05 PM
ChuckG
Visiting Guest
Boat for Skinny Water

Devren,

Thank you for your reply. I have investigated all kinds of boats, including some with very steep windshields that are "designed" for Alaskan rivers, eventhough I live in Illinois. I have finally purchased my river runner, a 16' Lowe midified "V" hull w/ a 35hp Johnson Jet. It can do roughly 30-35 mph w/ 2 people and gear for the day. It has already proved itself in 8" of water as a "go anywhere" boat. The hardest part about the new purchase is naming her. The finalists are "Hats Off" and "Skipping Rocks". I do appreciate all the posts to this thread as they all helped in my decision.

Chuck

Old 01-14-05, 12:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a 21' alumaweld Intruder SportJet.. its a 10degree hull with the heavy duty plate bottom.. I've had it in 3" of water and as long as I don't stop, I'm good to go.. this thing will dang near go anywhere.. the rivers here in Southern Washington are deep, shallow, wide, narrow, got logs, and who knows what.. but the jet just keeps on going... it'll stop on a dime, turn around just as quick, and run 40mph + and it loves fish...

Old 01-17-05, 05:55 AM
Yellowlab310
Visiting Guest
well I happen to love to fish skinny water myself down here on the Texas coast. I have a 20' Boatright that is a custom made flat bottom aluminum boat with a Mariner 150 on it. I runs in about 5" safely and go alot shallower than that if you have a soft bottom, and will float in next to nothing. The best boat that I have come across for real skinney water is a boat made by Flats Cat. I think you can go to flatscat.com and see their stuff. Its pretty amazing, you can run that boat in less than 3 1/2" of water, you dont get any skinnier than that. It uses a catamaran style hull and is supposedly real stable and a real comfortable ride to boot. Best of luck.

Old 01-03-06, 01:44 PM
weathers1200
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Skinny Water

Originally Posted by ChuckG
I live near a stretch of river that typically runs 2-3 feet deep with some pockets as deep as 8-12 and some areas no deeper than 6-8". I currently am running a 14' tri-hull w/ a 15hp motor. This boat works well, but by the time August and September come around, I'm locked into an area about 1 mile long. The entire stretch I can run in the spring is 35 miles. I have been looking for a shallow water boat, and have had many mixed results. Some people in the area use "mud motors" on their jon boats, but they have no reverse. I have heard of a BassTracker 175Jet which is 175 hp jet outboard, but I'm concerned it'll be too big. The other option I am investigating is a Carolina Skiff w/ an outboard jet motor. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Chuck,

Did you ever sort this out? I have a 17 ft Excel flat bottom boat with a Mud Buddy 29 h.p. Hyper Drive motor that will run in pure mud. The problem with all other motors is they use raw water for engine cooling. As soon as you get into mud they over heat. The jet motors are not designed to pump abrasives like sand and mud and weeds will stop them cold! All of the various mud motors are either air cooled or liquid cooled with an automotive type radiator. They don't over heat and they will run through choking weeds or 1/2" of water and through logs, rocks, etc. Check out www.mudbuddy.com, or just search "mud motors". You are correct about mud motors having no reverse. Mine has no reverse or neutral. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it. The newer Mud Buddy motors come with either an automatic centrifugal clutch or an electric clutch to provide a neutral.

Old 10-31-06, 06:54 AM
Thumbs up Flathead1

Howdy! Pro Drive shallow water outboards makes a mud motor with reverse. It is awsome!

Old 01-20-08, 07:56 AM
Jet John boat

We build custom motocycles and my machinest had an Idea of useing a snaper lawn mower drive(friction drive) in a boat this cultimated in a project useing a 14' bare bones aluminum boat and converting to a bass boat with a inboard jet unit. We ended up makeing our own intake and retroing a polaris 95 hp motor. When you look at the boat it looks just like a bass boat without the motor the back of the boat we constructed a complete hatch to cover the engine compartment with built in seats for travel and a normal pole seat that you would on a bass boat. The first test drive was excellent with the boat traveling 45 mph in 1 1'2 of water. We have a conslole with a cam steiring makeing the boat behaveing just like any other factory boats. The excelleration is unbeliveable and we built storage area's and a live bait well that is the full width of the boat. This boat is only 14' long but when you are fishing it feels like a 20'. We also made a air ride trailer that has no axile under it and when you push a toggle switch the whole trailer sets on the ground for ease of launching. We do plan on building more these boats since the performes better than we could ever emagine

Search this Thread