Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Moldy wood?

Visiting Guest

05-21-03, 07:25 PM   #1  
bryan77
Moldy wood?

Last yr I put in a treated plywood floor, and I used Thompsons water seal on all of the wood, put down carpet glue, and outside carpet. Well I use this boat I am guessing 10 months out of the yr, between fishing and hunting. Im assuming I had some water inside when I parked it in the garage for the rest of the winter, well now I have mold growing in my storage compartments and on the underside of the wood. Is there anything I can do to prevent this mold from growing. The boat doesnt leak a drop, so whatever water is in comes in from waves, rain or snow when I am out, I made a conscience effort to make sure the boat was dry before I park it in the garage, usually let it sit out in the sun the rest of the day, but it must not have been enough. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

VA

05-21-03, 07:48 PM   #2  
Are you sure it's mold, and not mildew?

Hello Bryan,

It is probably just mildew which can be killed with a bleach/soap solution. If it is mold you could try some fungicide.
Your treated wood really didn't need the Thompsons. As a deck restorer (PW and staining), that is the last product I would use - Way over-rated. It is parrafin based and some say it promotes mildew???
Do you have a transom plug, and remove it on every trip home. This will help drain and dry out the inside hull.
Parking the boat in the sun is generally what I will do also. And I jack up the bow as high as possible. A breatheable tarp will help to release moisture. Plastic tarps are a boats worst enemy. Besides rocks that is - lol.

Try the bleach first. But make sure it doesn't bleach your carpet.

fred

Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 12:51 PM   #3  
bryan77
Thanks for the reply, yes it has a plug, that I pull out and leave out till the next trip to the ramp. The boat gets parked in the garage when not in use, so I dont cover it. I will try the bleach. I was thinking about a box or 2 of baking soda in my storage compartments to help soak up the moisture when the boat is in the garage,or something to that effect anyways but I need to kill what I have first. thanks again.

Search this Thread