Steering ?

Old 05-23-03, 01:41 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
Steering ?

I have a 16' 1995 sylvan aluminum deep V. My question is, I have steering that goes from my wheel, to a single cable almost 1/2" in diameter to the back that in turn extends or retracts a metal bar attached to the motor. Well, the steering mechanism underneath my steering wheel aslo has a second attachment that has a plastic coated bar that goes from the mechanism to the side of my boat maybe 12" long if that, the bar cant be metal beceause it is somewhat flexable, but it is interfiering with my compass, if I pull the bar down and out of the way my compass head correctly, soon as I put the bar back it messes up. What is this bar, what does it do, an can I get rid of it? I hope I explained it well enough, it sometimes hard to put to words what we have questions on. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-03, 03:43 PM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
It sounds like you have a "rack and pinion" style steering. Instead of a cable that wraps around the steering hub behind the helm, your steering uses a gear that moves the cable horizontally from side to side.

The bar sticking out from the steering box is where the cable goes when the wheel is turned fully to one side.

No. You cannot remove it. Your only solution is to mount your compass in a different location, where the metal from the cable doesn't interfere with it.

Old 05-25-03, 06:06 AM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: