first timer

Old 05-26-03, 08:33 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
first timer

long time dreamer fist time owner i'm getting ready to purchase a used boat, 84cajun still winterized what do i need to do before getting the boat in the water?Aso any other advice for a first timer woulb be greatly appreciated,Iguess i should ezpand a little on this i am a first time owner not the first time in a boat or a first time coxin just not sure of all the ins and outs yet.Any and all advice is appreciated

Old 05-26-03, 03:17 PM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
1. Sign up and take a Safe Boating Course. I know I sound like a broken record, but this is the number one thing you can do to protect your investment, yourself, and your family.

2. Train a family member to safely operate the boat (Take them to #1, above). You want someone who knows what they're doing to be able to drive in case of an emergency.

3. Inspect all safety equipment, and make sure there are sufficient numbers of PFDs, of proper size for the people you'll be taking aboard. Make sure the Fire Extinguisher is fully charged, and get an extra one just in case. They're cheap, only about 15 bucks at Wally World.

4. Change all fluids and filters. Oil, lower unit lube, fuel, oil filters, etc.

5. If the battery is suspect, buy a new one. Better yet, install a dual battery system and switch.

6. Drain the gas and replace it with new fuel. If it's been sitting all winter, it may have gone "bad".

7. Check the spark plugs, plug wires, fuel hoses, etc. Change them if necessary.

8. Check the trailer tires for proper air pressure, and check, adjust and lube the wheel bearings. If you don't have "Buddy Bearing" bearing caps, get them now. Also make sure the trailer brakes are working properly.

8. MAKE SURE THE BOAT PLUG IS IN! And get an extra one to keep in the glove box.

9. And finally make it a policy that NO ONE will ever get behind the wheel after drinking alcoholic beverages.

Welcome to the boating world. Remember that a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money. The 2 happiest days in a man's life is the day he buys a boat. And the day he sells it.

Old 05-27-03, 03:49 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
thanx alan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: