stalls under load

Old 06-08-03, 06:18 PM
Firedog
Visiting Guest
Angry stalls under load

I have a 1986 Four Winns 195 Horizon cuddy with a 170 Mercruiser I/O 4 cylinder. It used on fresh water rivers/lakes. after about 30-45 mins, the oil pressure begins to drop, from 40 at cruising to about 30 psi, and at idle from about 20 to about 5 psi. the engine also stall out repeatedly. it restarts immediately, but when i go from idle to engage the drive, either forward or reverse, the engine stalls. luckily we were at the dock so we could reach shore. during this incident, after a few minutes, the oil pressure started to return to normal of about 30 psi at idle. but it continued to stall when put under load. any suggestions on rectifying or identifying this problem would be appreciated!!!!!

Old 06-08-03, 08:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Firedog. Welcome to the Boats, Pwc's & Navaigations forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Common to all engines that stall and die out usually is or could often be a fuel starvation problem. Restrictions in the fuel system or a defective electric fuel pump, etc.

Electric fuel pumps are electric motors which can be prone to heat buildup causing failure until it cools down. Electrical connections are another possibility. Which applies to all connections and terminals, etc.

Certainly these are not the only possible causes. Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies from the resident boat and water navigational mechanics and professionals.

Old 06-09-03, 02:38 AM
Firedog
Visiting Guest
I forgot to mention, the boat is equipped with a mechanical fuel pump. also, it does seem to get very wram in the engine compartment during operation, although the temp guage for the engine cooling system seems to be fine., before it did start to stall completely, the engine did "hiccup" or want to stall when coming off load and returning to idle,as if it were going to stall.

Old 06-11-03, 06:45 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
How long has it been since a tune up. how many hrs on the motor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: