motor for my inflatable boat

Old 07-15-03, 04:19 PM
motor for my inflatable boat

I've got an inflatable boat, which can handle a maximum 528 lbs. It has a motor mount, and the manufacturer suggests using a Minn Kota electric trolling motor, though it can take up to a 3.5 hp gas motor as well. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the electric only because it's cheaper. The size I'm looking at runs on 12 volts. I've got a 12V mobile power pack (Motomaster "Eliminator" brand) one of those units intended to be used to boost car batteries. I'm wondering if I could I use that power pack as the power source for my boat's motor? Or do I definitely need a special marine (watersafe) battery? The power pack is about twenty pounds. I don't know what a normal trolling motor's battery weighs, nor costs. I'm only thinking of using the power pack because I already have it, and it's seldom been used. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-03, 08:27 PM
i am sure it would get you out ok, but it is not a deep cycle
power source, nor is it intended to get wet.
spare youself the expense of ruining your nice power pack and
get a marine battery. you know that boat is going to get wet,
right?
happy floating,

Old 07-20-03, 06:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Post My Two Cents

Hello Kelly T. Welcome to our Boats, Pwc's & Navaigations forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I fully agree with Boat Mechanic's reply information. Investing in a deep cycle marine battery is the best method.

Deep cycle batteries are designed and built for the environment in which they will be used and the conditions they are going to be used for.

Deep cycle batteries can better handle the draws of constant current draining and recharging because the interior plates are much thicker and better insulated than auto batteries.

They are sealed to protect the exposed parts from the corrosive effects of salt water environments and will not easily leak if the dingy capsizes, etc.

Next best investments are in a seal battery carrying case and matching battery charger. Both items are worth the costs to have and use.

The power pack may not hold and or supply enough current to run that motor all day or for long periods of time. Rowing back into the dock isn't much fun in my book....

Invest in the correct equipment. Be sure the intended trips are safe and sure. You'll be glad you did.

Old 07-20-03, 03:31 PM
Thanks for your input and advice, BoatMech and Sharp Advice. My main concern with my original plan was the battery pack's lack of "waterproof-ness". I know nothing at all about the type of power required or the 'deep cycle' qualities of marine batteries. My boat is mainly used by my retired father, for short tours around the lakeshore to check out all the latest cottage reno's He's not the best oarsman, and the rowing wears him out pretty quickly. I just want to equip my little dinghy for him so that he has an easier way of getting around (or back to shore!). Guess I shall invest in a marine battery. Thanks!