Electrical Problem

Old 07-16-03, 07:26 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
actin weird?

Ok boat experts, 94 28 hp johnson 2 stroke,on a 94 sylvan stryker. I started it up and turned on my fish finder, (hummingbird 300tx) everything was fine for a minute, then it shut down(fishfinder) I turned it back on, it did its startup then shut back down, it did this several times at engine idle speed, then I accelerated and the throttle control made several chirping noises, as it does when you first turn the key over. It has never done this before, I just ran the boat 2 weeks ago and no problems, when I switch the fishfinder to startup in diagnostics testing it did detect low voltage shutoff, which is some kinda safety feature on the fishfinder, but it also has a volt meter which constantly stayed around 12.4 volts.......What gives?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-03, 07:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: bryan

Confusion. Not understanding what exactly is the problem. The fish finder, the boats engine noise, the electrical charging system?

If the control panel on the boat has a volt/charge meter, does it indicate a charge of 12.4 from the alternator? If the charging system indicates 12.4 volts while the engine is running, that is too low to keep the engines battery charged.

Charging volts soon after cranking should be 14.2 to 14.8 approz. If that reading is indicated on the dash board gauge, all is fine with the engines/boats charging system. If not, problem may be within the boats charging system.

If volt meter indicates correct charging than the low charging volts indicated by the fish finder indicates low volts to it or within it. Check the connections and terminals to the fish finder.

Corrosion causes problems to electrical systems in those areas, etc. Kindly isolate & clearify the problem to allow us to better understand where the problem is.

The other resident boat service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Old 07-18-03, 04:23 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
thanks for the reply, since I have posted that, I realized I have bigger electrical issues that I m in the midst of working on I will keep you posted.

Old 07-20-03, 05:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Ron

Based on the updated information about the boat's electrical system, a "Fish Finder" has dual purposes. Interesting...

It can also locate electrical problems...

Once you determine the cause or fix the problem, kindly explain in full details what the cause of the electrical problem was and how you fixed it.

Doing so will help all the readers of your question pertaining to electrical problems learn more. Thanks.