Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

deep cycle batteries

OH

08-02-03, 05:09 PM   #1  
deep cycle batteries

I just bought a used fish and ski boat and had to buy three new batteries along with some motor repairs.
My question is now the batteries are fully charged but how about after each use,How long do i charge the batteries then?

Sponsored Links

NC

08-02-03, 06:31 PM   #2  
I have a pontoon boat with a 30 hp putt-putter on it, and it's too small to recharge the crank battery and the deep cycle battery.
I usually charge the crank battery 6-8 hours. The deep cycle battery may need to be charged from 24-36 hours.
I have a new battery charger that can be set for one or the other, and automatically cuts off when each is fully charged.
I charge the batteries about every other month or three. Depends on your motor and use.
One of the pros here can give you a better answer. That's just mine.
Good Luck!
Mike

MO

08-03-03, 11:24 AM   #3  
Batteries

WWC you dont say for sure just what set up you have there on this boat. On our ski boat I get about 3 years out of the battery.The only time on a charger is in the winter time and then just a trickle, we pull the battery out for this. Also have a 9.5 on a sail boat elec start and lights. It charges it self all the time.Now on the large sail boat with 2 -100 amps your on a trickle charge at the dock all the time. If you go out and stay on board you have to run the motor 45 min in the morning and 45 min in the evening. this will give you all the elec power you need at night. Its about the same here 3 years and we end up getting new deep cycle betteries.
Its like OldGuy said how you use it. If you ski or use the boat a lot ,its like your car. When was the last time you had to charge your car batter. Thats if everything works like it should.

Have a good one ED

Visiting Guest

08-06-03, 05:59 PM   #4  
mr1dfl
I also have a fish and ski boat. Mine is used mostly for fishing. If you do a fair amount fishing , and use the trolling motor, I suggest that you invest in a 3 way battery charger. You engine only charges the the starting battery. The trolling motor batteries will never get charged. The 3 way charger, charges all three batteries at the same time until they all reach a full charge. It is usually permently mounted in the boat. Just plug it in to your extension cord and forget about it till your next day on the water. You can pick them up at basspro shops or cabelas for between $100.00-$350.00. It's well worth the money if you intend to fish.

02-03-04, 02:56 AM   #5  
The 3-way charger is convenient for charging and maitaining your batteries. Problem is they don't cycle them. Deep cycle maitenance is more than just fully charging the batteries to peak. The battery needs to be discharged to no less than 12.4 volts BEFORE re-charging.

For more info copy and paste the following

http://www.hepi.com/documents/evs15r.pdf

NC

02-03-04, 03:33 AM   #6  
More info:
The above-mentioned pontoon boat was totaled by Isabel on 9/18/03, but back when I put my new battery charger set on "deep cycle" charge on it, it would not automatically cut off because the older deep cycle battery would not charge up to enough voltage.
I then began charging it on the regular battery setting, and the charger cut off just fine.
I'm going to get a new boat with a 4-stroke engine, so maybe I won't be recharging the crank battery and deep cycle so much.

OH

02-03-04, 01:46 PM   #7  
Thanks guys, like was mentioned the cranking battery gets charged just like a car battery from the motor ,but the trolling motor runs down the other two batteries one at a time since there are one the two leads from the trolling motor hooked up to one battery at a time.
When i use the trolling motor all day i usually run down the two batteries pretty low so i think a recharge would be good. alot of times i don't run it much though.
thanks.

OH

06-28-04, 12:15 PM   #8  
Ok Explain this , after i have used my batteries or they have set without use for several weeks or months. I can put on my charger set at a fast charge on ten amps ,the needle will start at to the right arounf 30 and then after an hour or more the needle will gradually move to the left and stop at 10 and doesn't seem to move anymore.
If i put it on trickle charge at 2 amp the needle will start at close to bottom at the left.
I don't think my new charger automaticly shuts off so i don't want to over charge them.

Search this Thread