Bottom paint removal?

Old 11-01-03, 03:27 PM
Bottom paint removal?

I recently purchased a 25' Farallon Whaleback. The boat has been kept in the water for most of its life. I however am now keeping the boat on a trailer. My problem is the Anti-fouling paint (many layers) has come off in several areas (visually unappealing) revealing the original gelcoat (gelcoat appears to be in good condition) I would like to remove the old paint and restore the original gelcoat bottom or ? What is the best approach for me to take with this project? Am I crazy even contemplating this? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-03, 06:07 PM
BoatCop
Visiting Guest
It's probably best to leave this job to a professional. Most anti-fouling coatings are pollutants, at best, and toxic at worst. Depending on what state/city you're in, there are probably restrictions on where this can be done, and who may do it.

There is also the matter of (potentially) hazardous waste disposal for the old coating remnants.

That being said, what's usually done is a high pressure water spray, with recovery system to remove all the loose flaking coating. Then a compatible coating is re-applied over the old stuff that still has good adhesion.

To remove it down to bare gel-coat, a mild blasting with a non-marring media (like crushed walnut shells) is used.

Again, this is best left up to the pros.

Edit: I just noticed you're in Long Beach, Ca. The California Air Resources Board and State Environmental Agency has severe restrictions on this type of operation. It's probably against the law to do this yourself. Check with San Pedro Boat Works. They've been doing this for decades.

Search this Thread