building custom boat seats/storage boxes

Old 01-04-04, 08:12 PM
chefcroy
Visiting Guest
Question building custom boat seats/storage boxes

I currently own a 1978 15' Cruisers open pit boat. I have restored this vessel from the inside out,removing tons of rotten floor, mustard colored vinyl and twenty plus years of bottom paint and latex topsides ect.ect.. A really undertaking at the time summer 2002. Managed to get to use it summer '03 alot and discovered that retro fitting the boat I have some issues with storage. I put in pedastel seats only to have them pulling up 3' 3/8 lag bolts and eventually breaking the captian's seat. My thought is to build two storage boxes with drawers and a hinged door. fiberglass each piece,finish sand and paint them and mount the seats with exstisting swivels on top or with much shorter pedastel. My wood working skills/ experience are some what limited however I'm not scared to try anything or take on a project over my head. As a chef if I screw up a dish or recipe I can usaully fix it before giving it up to the trash can. But I'm researching this project as much as I can prior to getting started, is there any body out there that has taken on a simialar project ? This chef wants to have a more organized vessel for 2004 fishing season, please reply with ideas or encouragement for this ole hashslingerin the chesapeake

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-04, 11:31 AM
Lightbulb Rebuild

Have you looked at any of the WEST System manuals?? For how to . Defender marine has them. On that seat. Thats like winches and rails on a sail boat. dont go for lag or just screws. WE block the under side with a big block of G/W wood and then bolt and washer them down through that . ED