used mercury motor

Old 02-23-04, 07:04 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
used mercury motor

i am considering buying a pontoon boat with a 60 hp. motor. it is an 94 mercury 3 cyl. motor with oil injection. The guy selling it says it has good compression approx. 150-160 lbs. That don't tell me anything. Can anyone advise what i should be wary of and what to look for? i am going to listen to it run but don't know what else to look for..
thanks,
rrcop

Old 02-24-04, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Id be sure and check lower unit. To see that there is no water at all in it, that the seals are ok. just pull bottom plug ED

Old 02-25-04, 03:29 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
My Two Cents

Hello: rrcop

Ed makes excellent points, to which I will add.

Engine compression is vital information. Compression testing is done on all engines and tells a professional mechanic a lot about the engines.

Especially on the engines wear on rings & valves (rotary valves too) etc. Compression also tells much on how the engine was used and it's currently condition based on prior usage when compared to it's age, etc.

It's all in knowing what to do with the information and what that info tells the trained person whom reads it.

Boat appraisers perform compression tests of all boat engines when they are hired by a boat or yacht purchaser as part of the inspection report to the buyer.

In my opinion, an over all paid professionals appraisal is not needed for a small boat purchase. But the compression test is needed. The sellers word means nothing in a private sale.

Engine replacement would be expensive for a new 60 HP engine.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: