steers to the right

Old 04-04-04, 06:51 PM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
sterrs to the right

Hi, I have a 25HP jonhson on a 14 feet aluminium boat that always pull to the right,I really need to hold the motor handle firmly to keep boat going straight. Any idea where I should start to look for problem

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-04, 08:31 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: campbellguy

If the boats hull is in line, engine mounted squarely on transom, boat should track straight. Unless the torque of that engine is too much for the small boats size and weight.

When does the boat want to always turn right?

Once on plane or always? while under power???

Under power only is do to the engine torque and prop thrust. Nothing unusual, if I am understanding the problem fully.

Use the reply button and advise. More details would be helpful.

Old 04-05-04, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Look behind your propeller. Is there a fin sticking down? If so, then loosen the bolt that holds the fin and adjust its angle a bit. This fin helps counteract torque.

Old 04-06-04, 10:10 AM
With pilot here . Reset the trim tab on the lower unit. just a litttle at a time. Or does it do this with just you in the boat on the starboard side???

ED

Old 04-06-04, 02:31 PM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
Thanks
I will try changing the angle of the fin a little bit as soon as the ice melts on the river

Old 04-06-04, 04:45 PM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
Outboard mounted 1/2" offset

I`ve just measure my 25HP jonhson and it was mounted 1/2" offset plus there is a 3/4" shim on the transom. I`m wondering if this would be my problem of pulling to the right, if not why would the outboard would be mounted offset and why is the outboard sitting on a 3/4" shim instead of sitting directly on transom. Please someone expain it to me
Thank you

Old 04-06-04, 08:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

As suspected, the engine was not mounted squarely centered on the transom. Measuring revealed the results the eye could not see.

Now what needs to be know is on what side of the transom was the shim or is that shim??? Inside or outside. Makes a difference in engine trim and angle.

Why engine mounted offset? Good question. The answer to which will be noted next trip out.

And that shim? Fully across the entire transom?
Or only part way? Horizontal fully across?
Vertically how far down?
What size? Just enough to fit under the engine clamps or fully down or partially down the transom?

Many questions left unanswered and the answers need to be known to determine what that shim is there for. More info provided may reveal more clues from which answers can be provided.

Old 04-07-04, 08:11 AM
would the outboard would be mounted offset and why is the outboard sitting on a 3/4" shim instead of sitting directly on transom. Please someone expain it to me
Its like do you want to play with it and get all you can out of the motor. If you check all outboards call for a 15" or 20" transom. But when you go for top end speed you shim them up some till it cavitate's when the boat is on plane.Then drop it back down a 1/16".

So try it first and see what it does. 25 horse If you pull small kids on skies. You might want to drop it down so you can get them up out of the water faster is all So let it there till you see what it does.

* Never had a outboard I didnt have a shim under*

ED

Old 04-07-04, 09:48 PM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
The motor is off center by 1\2 inch to the right ,the same side that the boat pull(to the right). And for the shim,it is on transom and the motor sits on shim

Old 04-08-04, 05:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

Please excuse me here. But you never answered the questions asked. Doing so allows everyone to better invision the setup. Knowing some of the specifics will than provide the "clues" needed to attempt to determine why the shim is there, etc.

First question in need of an answer:
"Now what needs to be know is on what side of the transom was the shim or is that shim??? Inside or outside. Makes a difference in engine trim and angle."

Additional questions in need of an answer:
"And that shim? Fully across the entire transom?
Or only part way? Horizontal fully across?
Vertically how far down?
What size? Just enough to fit under the engine clamps or fully down or partially down the transom?"

That "shim" may be there to spread out the engines torque and vibrations across a broader area of the transom.

May also be there to accomodate the engine clamps or just there for who knows why?.....????

Assumptions abound.

Was the boat is used when you bought it?

Prior owner not available to ask why that shim is there?

Who put it there or is it OEM by the boat manufacturer or....???

I'm lost and so is all of my boating buddies....

Old 04-08-04, 06:39 AM
campbellguy
Visiting Guest
The shim is on top of transom,not on the side, and the motor is mounted 1/2" offcenter to the right ,the same side that boat pulls. The outfit was purchase used and I cannot reach original owner. The outfit is a 25HP jonhson on a 14 feet Princecraft Yukon 2000 with a 20 " transom

Old 04-08-04, 10:42 AM
Keep the shim there . Like I said We shim all motors up a little. 3/4" sounds good. If there is a lot of cavitation on take off pull the shim and put a 1/2" one under it . Do move the motor over to center first then set the time tab if you have to

ED