V-6 I/O Spring start up

Old 04-13-04, 03:00 AM
V-6 I/O Spring start up

I had my boat winterized but wondered if the spring start up is a DIY project ?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-04, 06:24 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Cowboy Bob

Much or all of what may need to be done presently depends upon what was done during the winterizing. Certainly changing all the fluids and filters for the summer usage is a good idea.

Checking battery(s), terminals and terminal connections, fuses, hoses, pumps, etc. Also proper operations of all electrical systems, battery charging, dash gauges and safety equipment is a good idea and or required.

Much also depends upon what type of boat and it's size, etc. Small boats owner service and maintainance should not pose to much work or knowledge. Not exactly so with large vessels.

May also be a good idea to check with the dealer, mfg and or the place who did the winterizing, etc. Not much details or specifics to go on here within your question and post.

Our resident boat service & repair professionals will have additional helpful information, suggestions and advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or questions, etc. to this thread. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Life Long Boating, Fishing and Navigation Enthusiast.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.

Old 04-15-04, 11:01 AM
When you do get it back in the water be sure and check out the water pump that it is pumping water . Some when they set through the winter the pump impeller will deform and not pump right . Check out like sharp said. If it has set a long time I pull the plugs and put just a little #10 in each cylinder then turn it over one or two times then put the plugs back in.

ED

Old 04-21-04, 11:24 PM
Local conditions and traditions may affect what was done to winterize you boat. I agree with what was said except I would have change the fluid and filters at the end of the season, The last thing anyone wants is water sitting in a lower unit all winter. Getting her ready for the season really depends on what was done and not done. It may be a simple matter of cleaning everything up, giving it a good eyeball and checking everything out, hooking up the battery, and taking out the spark plugs and cranking it over a few times to expel any fogging or storage oil in the cylinders.

I have been away from boats for a number of years so take my advice with however many grains of salt. If you are not comfortable doing it, pay a professional. The last thing you want is to be dead in the water your first time out. Take the time to learn as much as you can about all the systems on your boat.

Phil H
PS don't forget that drain plug(s).

Search this Thread