Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help: mariner 115 oil problem & probable rebuild

IL

04-29-04, 07:50 PM   #1  
Help: mariner 115 oil problem & probable rebuild

Over the last couple weeks i did a carb rebuild on my dads boat. Tonight i ran out to the lake and gave it a test run. While running full throttle it started making a noise and to make a long story short it doesnt have any compression in the bottom cylinder.

Obviously that cylinder didn't get oil, I forgot to mention above that i also rebuilt the fuel pump which has an oil line running to it. i called my dad and he told me since i broke the seal on the oil system that caused the problem. i dont understand how running a couple seconds without oil could have caused the problem. he told me i should have mixed oil in the gas to make sure the cylinders got oil.

after thinking about it for a while it dawned on me that this motor when idleing doesnt get fuel to the bottom 2 cylinders....that is by design by Mercury. the carbs dont even have idle screws so those 2 cylinders are flapping in the breeze anyways.

is it possible that the dealer will be able to re-ring this thing and send us on our way tomorrow or the next day? or are we looking at a total rebuild? i guess i forgot to mention he is supposed to be pulling this boat to alabama on sunday morning for a week long fishing trip.

so, does my dad have any glimmer of hope of taking this boat? thank god he is a fair man and is taking this pretty well...................at least his buddy has a boat they can take.

any help is appreciated

Thanks
Ed.

Sponsored Links

MO

04-30-04, 11:17 AM   #2  
From ED to ED

thank god he is a fair man and is taking this pretty well...................at least his buddy has a boat they can take.

Id say take the other boat for now

ED

Search this Thread