Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trying to rebuild a Chrysler 75hp...

Visiting Guest

05-06-04, 03:18 PM   #1  
izzydroolin
Trying to rebuild a Chrysler 75hp...

I just received my manual in the mail. Tools at the ready... and the transom snaps! The boat it was mounted on was heading for the dump anyway, but Now I have a 350+ lb engine I need to work on, and no means of mounting it. Does anyone have any suggestions, or better yet plans for an engine stand that I could build? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-16-04, 05:38 PM   #2  
Nautical Nature
Idea or Suggestion

Since the rebuild will be a one time process, build a saw horse. Make it from double two by fours bolted together or four by fours.

Built correctly and high enough, it will hold that weight during the rebuilding process. Not a professionals method to secure an engine but at dockside, garage, boat yard, etc, makes a low cost support.

Once engine built, legs on saw horse can be cut lower. Mount engine in 55 gallon drum for brief run testing. Or leave water hose in drum water running for slightly longer run times.

Those whom live dockside quickly become resourceful....
Hope this suggestion helps some.

Visiting Guest

05-18-04, 03:51 PM   #3  
izzydroolin
Thanks for your advice Nautical Nature. I do have one reservation however, Is the saw horse going to be strong enough to withstand that amount of torque. Please let me know what your experiances have been.

Admin Emeritus

CAL

05-19-04, 07:54 AM   #4  
Hello: izzydroolin

Personally, I do not see why a well built saw horse cannot handle the weight. Nor not handle the torque, based upon the prior advice offered.

The intent is to have a platform to support the engine for repairs. Which once completed can be removed from the sawhorse. Than the saw horse placed over a 55 gallon drum and the drum filled with water.

Than place and secure the engine back onto the saw horse. The engine prop shaft will than be in the 55 gallon drum filled with water. After any rebuild or at anytime the engine is in this specific environment in a drum of standing water, it will not be run at high speeds anyway. Or at least should not be.

So the concern for torque, etc. is a non issue. In my opinion. This method is also used at boat engine rebuilding shops, if they even do infact test run the engine at all. Most may not.

Therefore, Nautical Natures idea and suggestion is practical and useful. Build the saw horse to withstand the weight of the engine. 4x4's would be fine.

Be sure the height of the horizontal beam, which will support the engine, is about 8-10 inches above ground level, at a propellers lowest point. Doing so will allow proper clearances for the prop to freely rotate.

Summation:
For the intended purpose, as indicated prior by N/N and your intended useage, the saw horse with be perfect.

Reminder.
Saw horse NOT intended to be used for high speed engine running.

"Thinking Out Of The Box"
Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Search this Thread