Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

trailer wheel studs stuck!

05-18-04, 05:52 AM   #1  
trailer wheel studs stuck!

I have a 1989 Shoreline trailer, and all the lug nuts are rusted solid. It appears the previous owner never changed a tire on the trailer. So now I'm trying to get them off, and they're not budging. Are the studs a press in type, where I can just break off the lug nuts and bang the rest of the stud out of the hub and replace them? I don;t know what else to do, I've tried penetrating oil for weeks, and still no luck. Do autozone type places carry wheel studs or do I have to go to a marina, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

MO

05-18-04, 12:27 PM   #2  
Id try an auto parts store by you . They should have new ones for you then. If its that bad for sure pull the bearings and put new ones in . If you dont you will be broke down on the road some time. Also look at a bearing buddy hub set up for the trailer if your going to be on the road a lot
Check northerntool.com they have the hub studs and nuts replacement .

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 05-18-04 at 12:40 PM.

Super Moderator

CANADA

05-18-04, 02:52 PM   #3  
toddc,

The almost always successfull way of removing rusted nuts or bolts is with an air operated impact wrench.
The impacts of each blow are what break them free.
Another trick is if you have an oxy-acetylene torch is with a small tip, quickly heat the nut to almost red and then turn it with an impact.
As long as you don't heat the bolt to red it will still be useable.

You could take the whole trailer to a tire shop and I'm sure they wouldn't charge that much to twist them off for you.
Give the threads a good cleaning with a wire brush before you attempt to remove the nuts.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

05-27-04, 04:26 PM   #4  
I suspect that if the lugs are that bad then the rest of the hub would be in pretty bad shape. I'd recommend just going to a trailer supply shop and replace the whole hub. You'll get new bearings, lugs, seals and hub. They not are all that expensive, $30-$40. Spray some rust inhibitor on them before installing.
PS, you'll still have to break of the lug nuts to save your wheel. A tire shop with an impact gun should be able to do that for you.

Super Moderator

CANADA

05-30-04, 07:01 AM   #5  
Just wondering how you are making out with your stuck nuts?

Visiting Guest

06-02-04, 06:42 AM   #6  
doug67
Todd, I'm curious how your project turned out. I have a 89 or 90 Shoreline trailer that I need parts for. I'm told they went out of business, so any needed parts are hard to find. Does your trailer have the swivel rollers? Do you have any spare parts? Thanks.

MO

06-02-04, 12:34 PM   #7  
Try www.northerntool.com for parts and
www.defenderus.com for rollers.

ED

06-16-04, 09:17 AM   #8  
I've yet to tackle this issue, I have to soon though, since I'm planning on trailering it to Maine, about 150 miles. I'm kinda stuck, I want to replace the hubs, but I wnt to make sure I get the correct replacement ones, and I'm not sure what sive they are. I don't want to bust one off then find out I can't find the replacements, especially since I don't live on the water. I can't afford to be without a trailer for more than a weekend at best.

Super Moderator

CANADA

06-16-04, 10:43 AM   #9  
I still think your best bet is with an impact wrench.
There is no guarantee that the bolts will not break with an impact.but if you try to break them off by brutal means, you will likely damage something.

Swing by a garage or tire shop and they will be glad to help.

Also, you don't necessarily have to replace the hubs.
If they are in good condition you could easily clean and repack them.

Come on back if you need help doing this.

06-16-04, 12:27 PM   #10  
the hubs are quite rusted, and I'm not very confident that the studs will come out once I do get the wheels off. I'm thinking that it maybe be a good idea just to replace the hubs, but we'll see once I get the lugs loose I guess. Now's the time to do it while I'm waiting for my prop to be reconditioned.

06-17-04, 04:28 PM   #11  
The application for hubs is determined by the spindle diameter at the points where the inner and out bearing ride. Most trailer supply houses can usually pick the right one by knowing the trailer or axle capacity. I think there's only about 4 or 5 possibilities for all trailers. The general size of the trailer should narrow it down to a couple. You shouldn't have any availability problems though.

06-22-04, 09:43 AM   #12  
I bought myself an impact wrench, so I'm hoping to tackle it this weekend. Wish me luck,

06-22-04, 02:56 PM   #13  
Unless you bought a $200 unit from a tool truck, your going to be very disappointed. Those cheap units have no power at all.

Super Moderator

CANADA

06-22-04, 03:10 PM   #14  
I agree.
I use inexpensive impact tools except for an Ingersol Rand 3/4 drive impact that gets pulled out for jobs like what you are about to try.

A trick I find that sometimes works is to first give the nut a bit of a turn in the direction of tightening and then reverse to remove.

Hope it works though.
Keep us posted.

06-29-04, 09:01 AM   #15  
Well the first step is complete, I was able to free up the lug nuts with the impact wrench I bought, next will be to pull the hubs, repack the bearings and clean up the studs, and replace the broken one.

Super Moderator

CANADA

06-29-04, 04:10 PM   #16  
Glad to hear it worked out.

Search this Thread