New(Old) 87 Landau Pontoon

Old 05-30-04, 07:30 AM
Question New(Old) 87 Landau Pontoon

Hi,
I have just purchased my first pontoon, it is a fixer upper. 87 24"Landau with a 4cly OMC with the OMC outdrive, I am including pictures and I hope they work. I am in the process of recovering the seats, and have purchased new carpet. It needed a motor rebuild and I just got it back from the shop. I had reservations about buying it because it didn't run, but I knew the tech that fixed it and sold it to me, so I think he did me right. I picked it up last week and the plan was to try it out on the lake and then replace the carpet and install the recovered seats. I work night shift this week and I got off work this morning and worked all day to get it ready to put in the water to test it out. Everything went OK except for it would shut off occasionally when I backed off the throttle. I t also wouldn't take a load, I would move the trottle up and it would stay at the same speed. I could take it out of gear and it would rev up fine, but put it in gear the same. It is almost impossible to put in reverse, it will shut down. The tech rebiilt the carburator also, but I didn't change out the feul in the tanks, they were topped off. I am a little puzzled to what it could be, bad gas or bad transmission? Any advice will help

Pontoon1
Pontoon2
Pontoon3

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-04, 08:08 AM
Wink

The tech rebiilt the carburator also, but I didn't change out the feul in the tanks, they were topped off. I am a little puzzled to what it could be, bad gas or bad transmission? Any advice will help
How old was the gas there in the tanks ? How full where they? Id start with gas here first and then the carburator.

ED

Old 05-30-04, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure on how old the gas was. I changed it out last night and went back to the lake, and the same thing. Slow, chokes out.

Old 05-31-04, 06:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: buzzkutt-b

Old fuel could certainly be all or part of the problem. The old fuel may have once again clogged up the newly rebuilt carb, fuel filter, fuel lines, etc.

Other possible causes could be excessively lean fuel mixture caused by the above mentioned. Or the ignition timing advance is not functioning or operating properly.

As well as synchronizing and timing adjustments between the gear shifter cables to engine throttle linkages, etc.

You mentioned engine choking out. As in too much fuel? Exhaust fumes black in color, like the choke is still on? Maybe? If so, Choke may be stuck either fully closed or partially opened.

Basically, engine and linkages may only need fine tune adjustments in real time, meaning while in operation.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating. Life Long Boating, Fishing and Navigation Enthusiast. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 05-31-04, 08:58 AM
Wink

Think Id start with the carburator also any kind of inline filter on that gas line change them. Have had where can blow through the gas filter fine but put the old one back in and motor dont run right. But with a new filter it would run right.

ED

Old 07-19-04, 06:11 AM
Update on Pontoon.
Sorry I have been out of town on business and a little vacation thrown in, so I have been gone awhile. I took the boat back to the tech and he found part of the problem, fuel pump gasket had a hole in it. He replaced the whole pump and it will go faster. It doesn't perform like I thought it would, but it does better. I still have some problems though. One is when going at higher speeds it will suddenly surge up and back down no more than 1 sec. And the engine bilge area floods at high speeds. I was told it will have some water, but this comes up to the starter, I can pump it out but it is a little distressing to my passengers when I open the engine compartment while underwat and water is splashing all around in there. Ohterwise we are enjoying the boat.

Engine Compartment