Oil comming out of exhaust when starting PWC

Old 06-30-04, 06:34 AM
Oil comming out of exhaust when starting PWC

I just got a 94 tigar shark, never had a PWC before. I had the engine start fine last week.

Is it normal for oil ( I assume it is oil - its black) to shoot out of the exhaust when turning the engine over? This only occured recently when it did not want to start, and I hold the choke on, and throttle open while it turns over. Once it starts, its ok.

When I got the unit, it had been sitting since '01, and the oil tank is still full, I just put new gas in it ( it had 1/4 tank of gas still in it).

Could it just be the fact that I had it sitting for a week with its nose up and the oil dripped into the engine, filling it? First time when this occured, the engine did not want to turn over, but then it did, and all this black stuff shoot out the exhaust.
I was given the unit. and am trying to see what is wrong with it. ( So far the control module was defective, and produced no spark). Once It starts, it seems to be fine.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-04, 08:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: CanadianInIowa. Welcome to the do it yourself web site and this forum topic.

You mentioned oil tank. That implies the PWC has a oil injection system. Which means you do not have to premix the oil and the fuel. Which is a good system to insure proper oil to fuel rations.

The fact that the machine sat unused for so long may be the only reason so much oily smoke and oil residue was coming out the exhaust. Hopefully so.

And I doubt any harm can come from any excess oil being injected into the fuel mix will develope. However, the condition should not last long. If so, it may indicate a problem with the oil injection pump, it's linkage and or a fuel flow problem within the carb.

Black smoke indicates an overly rich gas fuel mixture. Which implies the carb may be in need of servicing, adjustment or rebuilding. A task often best left to a professional since vacuum carbs are not always the easiest to rebuild.

Suggestion might be to drain out all fuel and all injection oil. Add fresh fuel and the proper type of injection oil for the brand and model. Replace the spark plugs, air filter, if any is used and retry.

Doing so is likely to resolve the condition, by flushing out all the excessive fuel and oil mixtures in the lines and clear up the current condition.

Be sure the intake water cooling system is operating properly and do not over rev any engine not under a load or a PWC not totally in water. The engines used on PWC overheat very quickly, resulting in major internal engine damage. Very expense to fix, once overheating has occured.

The resident boat service & repair professionals may have additional helpful information, suggestions and advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or questions, etc. to this thread. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating. Life Long Boating, Fishing and Navigation Enthusiast. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 07-03-04, 03:05 PM
k2more
Visiting Guest
OIL blowing out the exhaust

I could have written your problem , my 93 sea doo was doing the same, It's internal and the only way to fix it right is a complete engine teardown, I found this out from a high performance Jet Ski shop, if you would have taken out your plugs and cranked it over oil would have flew 10 feet in the air. It has to do with the gap between cranks there is a small pin that lets the oil thru when sitting for long periods, However if you run it daily to keep it from building up pressure I then did not have any more problems, until the next year when I took it out of storage. Time to sell mine, or invest $600.00

Old 07-06-04, 06:08 AM
Question Thanks for you inputs, got it running

I was given the thing for free, so the cost has been low so far. It sounds like the engine is not really damaged.

Should I store the thing with the front end pointing down so the oil stays in the tank, and prevent this issue? or clamp the oil line to shut it off when not running for a long period of time?

I had it sitting with its nose up ( its on a snowmobile trailer - so it does not sit straight, either 30 deg nose up, or 25 deg nose down - or should I put some jacks under the tung to make it level?).

I did get it running, and it seems to run ok.
I'm going to replace the oil and fuel filters, then take it to my cabin.

I'll just have to remember to put a bucket under the exhaust when I first start it up out of the water. (I now have a big patch of dead, black grass -- better then oil on the driverway! `v`)

Now to fix the problems with my other boat! (Iowa seems to get 500 year floods every 5 years, which washs away things like boat house, and new boats!), But thats another thread!

Old 07-13-04, 08:50 AM
Question would re-routing oil feed help??????

I will be replacing the oil line from the tank to the engine. I noticed that the oil line comes from the bottom of the oil tank. I am assuming that gravity is feeding the oil into the engine when it is off for a period of time.

What if I loop the feed line up above the tank, then down? That may stop the oil from dripping into the engine when it is off. (Or when te thing is stored with its nose up). It would then only suck oil when running. ( I don;'t know if the tank is pressurized to push the oil in)

Does anyone see a problem with doing that? I don't want to do a re-build of the engine.

Thanks.