Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1979 evinrude 70 hp stalling problems

Visiting Guest

07-04-04, 04:42 AM   #1  
fly fisherman
1979 evinrude 70 hp stalling problems

I have a 1979 evinrude 70 hp out board motor which has an intermitant stalling problem. When it is running properly it runs like a dream but every now and then it goes into this stalling mode.
It always starts easily but sometimes as I open the throttle it just stops dead. If I bring the lever back to start position it will start again easily, but when I move the lever forward again it goes into gear and it begins to die again. If I leave it just engaged but dont move it any further sometimes it will clear itself and then I can increase the throttle and it will be fine.

So far I've purchased the manuel, installed a new diaphragm kit in the fuel pump, changed all the fuel (hoses just in case there was a leak), stripped all 3 carburettas cleaned and reinstalled them, reset all the butterflies and their cams because they were a long way out, made sure that the fuel hose from the tank had no leakes, installed a see through filter in the hose, increased the low idle position on the throttle linkage as these carburetta's have jets for both high and low speed.changed the spark plugs, I thought I had solved the problem but after not useing the motor for 2 months the problem is back.

Also should the roller pressed against the linkage cam or should it be touching in the neutral position.
Can you tell me what size the bore of the high and low speed jets should be as I can always make some new ones as well as check if the existing ones are correct are correct?
Is there any one out there that can give me some advise?

Last edited by fly fisherman; 07-19-04 at 02:42 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-19-04, 02:47 AM   #2  
fly fisherman
1979evinrude 70 Hp

I have a 1979 evinrude 70 hp out board motor which has an intermitant stalling problem. When it is running properly it runs like a dream but every now and then it goes into this stalling mode.
It always starts easily but sometimes as I open the throttle it just stops dead. If I bring the lever back to start position it will start again easily, but when I move the lever forward again it goes into gear and it begins to die again. If I leave it just engaged but dont move it any further sometimes it will clear itself and then I can increase the throttle and it will be fine.

So far I've purchased the manuel, installed a new diaphragm kit in the fuel pump, changed all the fuel (hoses just in case there was a leak), stripped all 3 carburettas cleaned and reinstalled them, reset all the butterflies and their cams because they were a long way out, made sure that the fuel hose from the tank had no leakes, installed a see through filter in the hose, increased the low idle position on the throttle linkage as these carburetta's have jets for both high and low speed.changed the spark plugs, I thought I had solved the problem but after not useing the motor for 2 months the problem is back.

Also should the roller pressed against the linkage cam or should it be touching in the neutral position.
Can you tell me what size the bore of the high and low speed jets should be as I can always make some new ones as well as check if the existing ones are correct are correct?
Is there any one out there that can give me some advise?

Search this Thread