trolling motor help

Old 08-06-04, 04:01 PM
flyguy
Visiting Guest
Red face trolling motor help

i have just aquired a motorguide 60V, ZX model trolling motor, 24 volt with 60lbs thrust. It will only run in high gear and i need to know if there is a test i can make to find out if the trouble is in the switch or the motor.... thanks for the help........

Old 08-08-04, 08:40 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: flyguy

I would start with the switch. Easiest part to replace, if needed. Also least costly. Motor testing must be done professionally, in my opinion. Electric motor repair shops can be located in the phone book.

Do a continuity test to determine if the switch has contact through all terminals. Bypassing the terminals one at a time may help also. Just be sure not to cross flow the power into the motor during the test while the current flows, if the motor does not have a reverse.

Check with the local boat repairs in your area also. Be sure parts are available at these shops. They may also be able to provide additional help. As can the web sites diy resident boat service & repair professionals. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or questions, etc. to this thread. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: