73 Merc 500 no start problem

Old 07-12-04, 05:43 PM
bri208
Visiting Guest
73 Merc 500 no start problem

No start, no spark, determined it not the switchbox. What do I do next to figure out how to get this thing started.

Where can I get a schematic & resisant readings to measure ohm's & such.

4A Lightning Energizer system.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-04, 08:07 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello; bri208

Does the engine crank? If so, check the ignition switch for power on the terminal ends. If the engine does not crank, ignition switch may be the problem or the battery connections or wire connections on the starter, etc.

Your question does not contain enough specific and detailed information to provide a means for the pros in this topic to know where to begin providing you with specific locations to begin testing or looking for possible causes.

Switchbox? Kindly explain what you mean by the term switchbox also....???

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional detailed and specific information, etc. to this thread. Using the reply button method also moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 07-25-04, 11:08 PM
gwarr
Visiting Guest
Merc 500 no spark

Originally Posted by bri208
No start, no spark, determined it not the switchbox. What do I do next to figure out how to get this thing started.

Where can I get a schematic & resisant readings to measure ohm's & such.

4A Lightning Energizer system.
search the web for merc "500 thunder bolt" (Wire diag). check voltages on the switch box, while cranking the eng. should have about 89 V ac on the red and about half that on each the blue and white. I think that you should have about 12 V ac on the green. Mine has 6 V and very weak spark, I suspect the switch box is defective. You should be able to isolate your trouble to the coil or the ignition driver now. what are you doing with your old switch box?