Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

boat subfloor stingers

Visiting Guest

07-18-04, 10:02 PM   #1  
jdborth
boat subfloor stingers

tore out wet carpet, rotten plywood floor, and see the fiberglass covered stringers are rotting also. Can I replace most but not all of the stringer and re fiberglass? Does a joint in the stringer affect the boat in any way. If I did two stringers that way, I would off set the joints. I just cant see how I am going to replace the whole stringer front to back especially around the rear end by bilge pump and transom. the transom is very good shape and dont want to disturb it . any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot. [email protected]

Sponsored Links

MO

07-19-04, 05:42 PM   #2  
Id think its like are they the back bone of the boat as they call them or just for the floor to fasten to.Might be a new one piece ply wood floor P/T and 1" would help beef up the new stringers when you put it in also. Look up the West System could be you can build them up with just that and fiberglass

ED

NY

07-20-04, 05:34 AM   #3  
ah, the joys of owning a boat. the stringers are the framework that hold everything together. if they are shot, they must be replaced, to prevent excessive flexing of the hull. the best way to do it is to tear out the rotted stringer{s} & replace with new. u don't have to replace all of them unless thet are rotted. trying to beef them up with plywood won't work. once rot sets in, it's all over. measure the height of the old stringer. the new stringer must match in height to the old because u have to screw the new floor to the stringer. if u don't have the correct height the floor will flex. when i did mine, before i tore the old ones out, i drew a diagram of the stringer system as a reference. u don't need to disturb the transom. just tear out the old stringer & fasten it to the transom & glass it in. if u have the room u can use a sawzall to cut out the stringer. otherwise u will need to dig out the old material using whatever tools u have. wear a mask when cutting into the fiberglass & wear a tyvex suit or you'll be itching for a month. when u replace the stringer they must be glassed over or they will rot again. they must also be glassed to the hull. do not use pressure treated lumber. fiberglass will not adhere properly to treated lumber. for the floor use marine plywood. also throw out the old carpet. don't put a wet carpet back on new plywood. the floor will rot again. if u have any more questions, post back. good luck.

Visiting Guest

09-27-04, 06:56 PM   #4  
evansbrothers
stringers

kpg,
A question. I'm doing the exact same thing on my 16' trihull Larson. I have the Marine Plywood and have removed the floors and waterlogged foam. What kind of lumber would you recommend for the stringers? Thanks much!
Steve

MO

10-05-04, 10:33 AM   #5  
Id go for oak if you can find it there.Then the west system over them

ED

Search this Thread