Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

OMC Cobra I/O don't shift forward

Visiting Guest

08-10-04, 07:29 PM   #1  
Mike_Maranto
OMC Cobra I/O don't shift forward

Hi:
I need some expert advice. I have a bayliner with OMC Cobra outdrive. Today it did not shift smoothly to forward gear instead I heard some noise from lower unit.
Could it be gear or do I need to fill up oil. And if I need to fill oil what kind should I use, as I do not have no book for the boat I bought it used it is a 1987 Bayliner.
It shifted to forward only if i raise n then lower my outdrive. One more bit of advice how to fill up oil in gear case. Do I need to fill up from top screw or lower ???

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-16-04, 05:15 PM   #2  
Sandman3132
First drain and refill your lower unit. Use gear oil for this like Castrol 85W90 or from your dealer. You have 2 fill spots on the unit on is for drainging and filling and the other is a vent. First drain your unit by removing the lower screw then remove your upper screw. Then you need a pump about $10.00 from any boat supply and fill your unit from the bottom to the top unit it comes out of the top.Also you have the lower uniot and the upper unit to do. Both are done the same way.

NY

08-17-04, 08:08 AM   #3  
cobras are filled from the MIDDLE plug located on the starboard side of the l/u. it will take approx. 2 qts. to fill a 3.0 litre. DO NOT fill from the bottom plug, or u will get an air bubble, the drive won't fill properly & good bye lower unit. after u fill it, start the motor [with muffs attached & the prop removed for safety}, start the engine & put it in gear. this will release any air bubbles that may be in the drive. then recheck the oil level. never fill a cobra from the drain screw or the dipstick. it's ok to top off the level from the dipstick, but that's it. make sure the gear oil is rated for marine use. don't skimp here, or it will cost u dearly in the long run.

Visiting Guest

08-25-04, 08:55 PM   #4  
Mike_Maranto
It helped/OMC cobra won't shift forward

thanks guys for your help I filled the oil from middle plug, the oil was way below fill level. After oil refill I started and put the boat in gear it made some noise(rattling) but the prop started moving and it ran good at high throttle. Later as told by you I took prop off and toped the oil and put in gear the spindle started moving it took some seconds to get into gear but it did faster than prop ON. (Do you guys think I should replace prop also, I send this prop for balancing to a boat shop but now i have doubts). What could be that rattling noise from bottom part near skeg???
Once again your advice was very help ful

NY

08-31-04, 05:28 AM   #5  
i don't think the prop would make it rattle. does it make this noise all the time or only when u shift it? u said it took some seconds for it to go into gear. it sounds like the shift cable is out of adjustment. cobras are notorious for shift cable problems. try this web site. stuart.com. it has everything u wanted to know & more about omc shift cable adjustments. get you're printer ready. you'll need it. by the way, when u shift an omc into gear, don't ease it in. u have to "bump" the shifter into gear, so the gears mesh properly. try it, see if the rattle goes away. good luck.

Visiting Guest

09-03-04, 03:20 PM   #6  
Mike_Maranto
Yes shifter cable is the PROBLEM

Hi:
Your guess was right itis the shifter cable creating the rattle. By the engine where you see shifter cable connected(two colors RED & BLACK) when I push the red cable(place where it is hooked) forward the boat engages in gear fine.

Now I read an article someone posted on Google.com(http://www.funkopolis.com:8080/~stua.../kw-shift.html). It seems complicated. Can't I do adjustment by clicking nuts on cable clock or counter clockwise??

By the way thanks for your help.

NY

09-04-04, 02:25 AM   #7  
well, i suppose u could try it. it is a complicated procedure. what i did was print out the procedure & went thru it step by step. the thing with cobra's is, they don't like to hold the adjustment. i had to do mine a couple times to get it right.

Search this Thread