Fuel Tank Crud

Old 08-14-04, 09:50 AM
LakeRat
Visiting Guest
Fuel Tank Crud

I recently restored a 1975 16' runabout with a 115 HP Evinrude outboard to service. Because of the unusual dimensions of the transom, I had to resuse the old steel 18 gal gas tank. I cleaned it with high-pressure water until I couldn't get any more crud out although I know there was still some in there. I installed a clear fuel filter just before the squeeze bulb. When running at high RPM's, it appears crud gets sucked into the draw tube blocking the flow. I can "massage" the squeeze bulb until it refills and flow resumes. Is there a good chemical additive for gasoline tanks that will dissolve the crud into finer particles which will not block the draw tube? Does anyone make custom plastic tanks?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-04, 02:03 PM
Wink

Id ask around dont see why a weld shop cant make you one. Are I have made tanks out of fiberglass work just fine. Try www.defender.com they have 6 18 gal tanks one might fit made of plastic by Tempo

ED

Old 08-14-04, 03:12 PM
LakeRat
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Tempo does not make the right shape tank. Is there any type of Coast Guard certification required for a local weld or fiberglass shop to make a gasoline fuel tank?

Old 08-14-04, 05:14 PM
Thumbs up

Not that I know ,of as long as your not a Commercial boat

ED