Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Volvo Penta 4.3L won't continue to run.

Visiting Guest

08-24-04, 10:51 AM   #1  
BZYBNCH
97 Volvo Penta 4.3L won't continue to run.

The engine will get up to about 3000 rpm and then will die. I have replaced the fuel filter and have new gas in the tank. It has an electric fuel pump that will not cycle. I don't know what the volts or amps needed to run the pump are. It does have some reading when the key is turned but then it goes to a zero reading. I have troubleshooted it down to electrical but the boat has a fuel pump relay. How are relay's tested? I need power to the fuel pump to start the engine. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by BZYBNCH; 08-24-04 at 01:16 PM. Reason: put in year of boat

Sponsored Links

08-24-04, 08:04 PM   #2  
There should be an oil switch on the side of the block. check those connections. the relay is energized with the key and then reverts to
alternator current. it could also be the alternator is not charging.
have you replaced it ,,,, possibly with a different style??

Visiting Guest

08-25-04, 01:36 PM   #3  
BZYBNCH
The Alternator is the original, since the engine won't run because of lack of fuel should I remove the alternator and have it tested at an auto parts store? I read an article about the fuel pump not working unless the oil pressure was high enough is that why I should test the oil pressure switch. I also purchased a manual that has the wiring diagrams of the boat. It looks like the battery hot is connected to the starter solenoid and then 4 wires come off of the starter solenoid are these wires suppose to carry any amps or current? The fuel pump relay is receiving wires from a 6 amp circuit breaker, the starter relay, alternator and ground. Is the wire from the starter relay going to have current? I was wondering if the starter relay is bad. Can the relay's be tested? I really like fixing things and when they are tough to solve it makes the solution more rewarding.

08-26-04, 10:23 PM   #4  
ok lets get into it...
the alternator is our source of power to the pump when the engine
is running, energizing the relay. the relay is primarily energized from
the key switch and timed to stop until oil pressure rises.
so yes, check the oil switch for continuity. and yes test the relay. but no dont pull the alternator .. yet.
the relay is a solenoid, one line of currrent waits to be passed to a load.
( the big posts ) the little posts are the activators, one is always
ground and the other is a momentary positive. it creates an electro
magnet and lifts a disc to connnect the two large posts inside the solenoid
or relay.

Visiting Guest

08-31-04, 04:08 PM   #5  
BZYBNCH
Thanks, I checked it all out and pulled the alternator. The alternator was bad and I am having it rebuilt. I hope to have it after the holiday so I can get out on the water in mid September.

Search this Thread