40 hp evinrude

Old 09-05-04, 12:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry 40 hp evinrude

Does startor selnoids with the bendix spring and gear supposed to pop up to the flywheel when you turn the key on? The one I have will only just not pop up but just spins around. Does this mean the selnoid is gone or could there be something else wrong?

1992 40hp evenrude tracker outboard boat motor.

Thanks
Don

Old 09-05-04, 07:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Don

The starter is not operating correctly. The solenoid is suppose to engage the gear into the flywheel and crank the startor. Once the motor starts, the solenoid is de-energized which retracts the gear and stops it from rotating.

Remove the entire startor motor and take it to any local boat repair shop for needed repairs. Some electric motor shops also do this type of work. Just be sure to tell them the startor is for a boat engine.

These types of startor motor are not the same as car or truck startor motors. They are sealed to prevent sparks which can ignite fuel vapors.

The diy resident boat service & repair professionals will have additional helpful information, suggestions and advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 09-05-04, 10:22 PM
P
It has been along time since I have been around outboards but it sounds like the bendix/starter drive is stuck (the piece at the end of the starter motor that has the little gear that drives the flywheel). Centrifugal force of the spinning starter motor cause the little gear to go up. I wish I could descibe it better, Ford starters used to be 'kind of' similar. You might be able to free it up with WD40 and have it work again without having to replace the starter or bendix (the piece comes with new starters). The problem is that once you free it up, it may want to stick up and stay engaged with the flywheel after the motor starts. This is a bad thing. I do not remember what the recommended lubricant for the bendix once it is free but a little motor oil might be ok for a while. I hope some one comes along with better directions. Also, any outboard repair shop should be able to help you out.

PS I do not remember any Evinrudes with a solenoid attached to the starter and actuates the bendix

Old 09-06-04, 08:09 AM
Talking 40 hp Evinrude part 2

Thanks guys for the info.
I took a second look at the problem and here is what I noticed. When I turn the key on to start, the starter senolid will turn real fast but the little gear will not go up into the flywheel like it is supposed to do. The worm gear theards that is on the shaft and ID of the gear threads have lube on them. I can rotate the gear by hand very easy; up and down. Does the shaft have to rotate with a certain RPM?????

Thanks again
Don

Old 09-06-04, 04:58 PM
P
You might double check that the battery isn't hooked-up backwards (+ and - mixed up) If the polarity is reversed, the starter will turn backwards and the little gear will not go up.

Old 09-07-04, 05:55 AM
Exclamation Ok

The battry is hooked up the right way + to + - to -.

Don

Old 10-16-04, 03:43 PM
Thumbs down Silanoid before starter????

Like a car is there a silanoid before the staarter moter on a boat motor?
If so; can there be something wrong with it that the starter motor will not have enough torque to make the little gear (when engaged to flywheel) turn the flywheel.

I have removed the starter motor from the 40 HP and tested it as follows.
Hooked a jumper cable--- Neg. Bat. to Neg. motor case
--- Pos. to pos. post on motor then touched other end of pos cable to pos. on bat.

Here is what happened. The motor turned over fast enough to make the little gear jump up the why it is supposed to do. I did this a few time and it did the same each time. GOOD

Now here is the prob. I reinstalled the starter motor on the 40 HP, hooked up the the wires and guess what? The gear will not go up. I engage the gear to flywheel by hand and try to start it that way but the starter motor will not turn the flywheel.

New bat. new lugs and clean cables.

Don

Old 10-16-04, 04:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello; Don

Might be possbile that startor motor is simply wornout too. Motor does not have the torque but does have the speed (RPM'S). Solenoid likely to be defective as well.

A direct connection to the startor motor during a bench test may not reveal the accurate results either. Far less resistance than might be when motor installed through the boats wiring system and key start ignition system.

Electrcial testing to prove full voltage is present when motor installed may be needed. Full voltage to the key start switch? Through key switch to the motor?

May or could possibily be a voltage flow problem or a high resistance problem in the motor or in the electrical system on the boat or the key switch. All of which needs to be determined by testing.

Problem may need to be determined by a professional electric startor motor repair person. Internal worn parts on that motor may not be visably noticeable to the untrained eye. The power of the motor not be known without a motor load test on it.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Boating Enthusiast
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 10-21-04, 06:27 AM
gwarr
Visiting Guest
Starter moters are starter moters, basicly the same. The things that ware out in then are brushes and bearings (both fixable). Any starter shop should be able to test your starter, and fix it, they fix most of the starters for most mariena's. But you might like to check your battery connections to the starter. If they seem ok jumper around your solionoid ( jumper cables). in fact you can test your electrical connections with one jumper cable. Start from the starter, and work back towards the battery.

Old 10-22-04, 06:31 AM
Arrow Need more info.

GWARR

Thanks for the info.; but how would you hook just one cable? Stud on motor to pos. on batt. How about the neg. (or ground) on batt. and motor?
Can you give me a better guideline on how to do this.

Thanks
Don

Old 10-22-04, 11:28 AM
parothd
Visiting Guest
As a very first test, hook a jumper cable from the negative post of the battery to the case of the starter. Then try it again. Not on the power lug of the starter of course, but on the starter case someplace. The most common issue around things like this is having a weak ground connection.

Just a thought..

Terry

Old 10-23-04, 05:07 AM
gwarr
Visiting Guest
test with One jumper cable by hooking the positive cable to the positive terminal on the starter, then connect the other end to the pos side of the battery. This is a quick check of your starter. If it workes ok then work back toward the battery one connection at a time. Good luck.

Old 10-24-04, 05:58 AM
Talking Thanks to all

I did what GWARR said to do and it worked. Then I started thinking (hard at my age). I had removed the motor from the boat engien and took it apart. I cleaned the comutator and brushes (with an eraser) then put it backed togeather. I do think that this was my prob. because it was black looking. I now can start with the key.

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Don

Old 10-25-04, 05:14 AM
gwarr
Visiting Guest
IT WORKED, what worked the test method or the starter motor. I dobut that carbon on the commutator would cause the problem you described. Weak springs on the brushes maybe. While you had the starter out you should have put some anti-seize on the ends of the armature ( where it goes into the bushing) this would prolong the life of the bushings (and possibley speed up the starter). Make sure that all the battery connections on the boat are tight.

Old 11-04-04, 05:21 AM
Question It worked

The test with the cable (neg.) worked. The brushes and springs were in good shape. Now it starts.
But there came another prob. A few years ago I had the motor converted from oil injection to oil gas mix. There was no prob. then when I got the motor running this time the alarm (horn) for no oil started to sound after about 1 min. of run time (every time).
I do not think this should be. Does any one know how and where I can turn this off? It does not go off by its self.

Thanks again
Don

Old 11-04-04, 07:07 PM
gwarr
Visiting Guest
I would suspect that there is a switch some where that makes the alarm horn sound talk to the guy that made the conversion and find out how he bypassed the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: