hard starting but not always

Old 08-29-04, 05:00 AM
porknose
Visiting Guest
hard starting but not always

I have a 1991 130 hp Yahama. When I get to the launch ramp and put it in, it starts just fine. I make a 20 minute run or so and shut it down and make a drift and if I try to restart it when it's warm or right after it's shut down, hot ,it seems to start just fine. If I make a drift of maybe a half hour or so, it sometimes takes a lot of cranking to get it started. Last time it gave me trouble starting, I folded the fuel line over and had my wife hold it shut, not allowing any fuel to get to the carbs, I cranked the engine and after a short time it fired right up. I am guessing here that maybe sometimes the floats dont shut off the filling of fuel to the carb bowls??? Maybe loose dirt in the bowls??? I also notice excess smoke after a long hard start. When I trailer it home, about a 2 1/2 hour tow, I flush it out, it always starts right up. Any ideas or help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-04, 07:57 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello porknose. Welcome to the Boating, Sailing, PWC, GPS, & Navigation topic.

Based on the problem description, sounds like carb flooding. Possible the carbs need interanl cleaning and new carb kits installed. If you're not handy in this area of repairs, it is best left to the pros at the boat repair shops.

What you can do while the carbs are in for services, is clean the fuel tank(s) and replace the filter(s). Also clean, clear or replace the fuel lines, if need be.

The diy resident boat service & repair professionals will have additional helpful information, suggestions and advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or questions, etc. to this thread. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.