1968 johnson 55hp

Old 09-02-04, 04:51 PM
spanky27809
Visiting Guest
1968 johnson 55hp

I am thinking about buying a 1968 55 hp johnson that was used one season and then the owner died and has been stored ever since. The owner said it had good compression and on some of the wires the insulation has chipped and cracked. My question to this group of pro`s is 1. do you think it would be worth $150.00 and second what might I have to do to it to get it running. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-04, 08:36 PM
Not really a expert and u didn't say if it was fogged before storage but I would say do a carb job ,a pressure/vacume test on lower leg and change oil on same.quick fix on cracked wiring would be liquid tape,unless its spark plug wiring then u should replace,drop a few drops of oil thru spark plug holes pull over a few times slowly to loosen it up ,put it in a tank and see what happens,As for price it seems good if u have a use for it but to bye something that old to make a quick buck is always risky And make sure to watch that water pump is workin,u can tell if its working if water is being discharged thru holes at base of engine

Old 09-05-04, 09:00 AM
spanky27809
Visiting Guest
1968 55 johnson

thanks for the advice ski I am buying the motor for my own use and I do not think it was fogged before storage. I think I am going to buy it follow your tips and see what happens. thanks again