1975 Evinrude - lower unit

Old 08-08-04, 10:49 AM
Scandia Eagle
Visiting Guest
1975 Evinrude - lower unit

I would like very much to have some guidance in replacing the outer shaft seal and in general, servicing the gear case on this engine. When packed away last fall, only water ran out of the oil fill hole - in addition to replacing the seals (is there more than one?), I would also like to inspect the condition of the gears. I'm a pretty fair mechanic, but was not unable to dissassemble the unit beyond removing the prop and taking out the three long bolts that are deep inside the outer compartment of the gearcase.

Thanks

Old 08-08-04, 12:16 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You don't say what size outboard. It sounds like you have through the hub exhaust. The direction you need will fill the chapter of a book. You really should get a service manual. It has been quite awhile since I worked on outboards, but I believe you need a puller to remove the next part (bearing housing?). But, it does not sound like you have removed the lower unit nor removed the water pump. I always liked to pressure/vacuuum check the lower unit before disassembly to get an idea of where it is leaking (are the drain and fill plug gaskets in good condition?).

The lower unit can leak from numerous places. I usually resealed the entire thing. O-ring(s) around bearing housing, prop shaft seals, drive shaft seals, shift rod o-ring etcetera. The job may require or may be a lot easier with some special tools. There may be a lot more wrong if the water in the lower unit rusted stuff up or if it ran with water rather than oil.

Old 09-07-04, 09:37 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
your not talking Scandia,Pa

I dont know if your still having some trouble with your motor but maybe I can help.Let me know

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: