Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sea Doo engine swap

Visiting Guest

09-10-04, 09:44 AM   #1  
seadoo580e
Sea Doo engine swap

My 1994 Sea Doo SP's engine just blew and I am thinking about upgrading to the 720 engine, as the 580 comes stock with this model. The reason I'm not just buying another Sea Doo is that I got this ski for free from a friend, and I don't want to waste the hull, since the X4 hull is awsome. What would need to be replaced in the SP in order for it to run the 720? I know the electronics would have to be swapped with an XP's, but what about the drive and pump? I have a 1997 GTi with a blown 720 engine, would I be able to use most of the parts out of it, such as electronics, exhaust and carbs? Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-21-04, 10:10 AM   #2  
Lee B
The swap should be an easy one. You'll need to swap the entire engine and electronics (carb and exhaust included). You won't need to change the pump or the driveshaft, but you may want to change the impeller for the higher horsepower engine. The reduction nozzle size may be different, but that's not much of an issue. Do the swap.

Although the 720 offers much more horsepower than the 580, the one downside to that year's 720 in that model (if I remember correctly) is that it has a single carb (compared to duals). There's not much in the way of hop-up stuff you can do with that single carb (you can raise the compression, though).

Visiting Guest

09-29-04, 02:00 PM   #3  
seadoo580e
Thanks for the info. It is the engine with the single carb, so I won't be doing any serious aftermarket stuff. I contacted Perry Performance Group, and they said that they could modify the carb to support an exhaust. That is probably as far as I would go engine-wise, apart from a head modification. I like to keep things pretty simple and reliable. Already have a Worx intake grate to keep it hooked up. Man, I can't wait to get started. If only I had a little more free time . I am definately going to get it in before next season. I'll keep posting results as the project moves along. Thanks again for your feedback! I was beginning to wonder if there were any serious PWC enthusiasts on this forum!

Ellys

Visiting Guest

09-30-04, 09:19 AM   #4  
Lee B
PPG is a good start. Perry is a sharp guy, and his staff is pretty good as well. I assume you've seen their message board at www.sea-doo.net. There are some knowledgable people on that board.

I know what you mean about free time! I have a '96 XP with an AP Designs paint job (old Splash Magazine project vehicle) that I need to finish. It hasn't seen the water since 1997. I have my old triple-pipe '98 GP1200 superstock race boat that hasn't seen the water since '99. Now my WaveBlaster1200 and SuperJet still are ridden, but not as much lately. I just wish I could ride more! Oh yeah, I am still kind of a hardcore enthusiast.

Good luck with the project!

Search this Thread