1997 jet ski no spark

Old 09-14-04, 07:28 AM
firedoug
Visiting Guest
1997 jet ski no spark

i have a 1997 kawasaki jet ski, with the 750-c motor, "ZXI" model, it will not start, i have checked for spark, there is none, i have checked the fuses, but they all appear to be fine. if anyone has access to a wiring diagram for this model, it would be appreciated, or any suggestions would help.

thank you

Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-04, 09:47 AM
seadoo580e
Visiting Guest
I had that problem with my 1994 Sea Doo SP, and after checking all the wiring I found out that the problem was a bad ignition coil. I would open the electrical box and look for any corrosion. If there isn't any, make sure all wires are connected and not loose. If you have an ohm tester, start at the battery and check all the wires between it and the ignition coil. If there is power going through all the wires up until the ignition coil, that might be your problem.

Old 09-21-04, 10:03 AM
Lee B
Visiting Guest
There are a number of things that could fail, preventing spark:
* the stator
* the CDI
* voltage regulator (some models)
* coils
* bad grounds
* coil wires - but there is something you can do for these...

Remove the spark plug caps (they unthread). Then, snip about a 1/4" off the wire, and reinstall the caps. Often, when the wires are removed, the wire gets pulled back in the insulation. Try this before moving on.

Old 09-22-04, 07:07 AM
firedoug
Visiting Guest
i will check the plug wires (remove caps and verify it hasn't pulled loose. i am going to order the "selco" manual which covers the 750c motor, i was hoping someone had a copy to fax/email of the ignition system!!
thanks for your input!!!
Doug

Old 09-23-04, 01:27 PM
Lee B
Visiting Guest
Just so you know, the ignition systems vary a bit in design between the different 750 engines, so try to get one that covers the ZXi.